My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Recapping 2013 with love

2013.  Steve and I were able to spend a lot of time together. He was self-employed and among many things he did a lot of business coaching in our office. It was so much fun coming out of a session and seeing him there! He would be in another room with the door shut and Cricket would know he was 'in the building'.
Mother of Achievement in New York. - Natalie and Kathie Lee and Cricket :).
This was a special experience and so very special to have my parents and Steve and Natalie and Adam there cheering me on!  It was finals week for Kendall so he couldn't join us.  

Some other posts that I enjoyed refinding: 
Gratitude

Broken Foot

Our Date
Kendall graduated from USU - what a great kid and a great day!  
Cricket and I had so much fun presenting.   Several times Steve shared too and that was super fun!  This was on our way to do a fireside in Ephraim, Utah! 

This year I served as the 2013 GDB Alumni Chair.  I love this group of amazing people.  
Love this group of amazing people - family support is awesome!

The building of our nonprofit - The Oasis Center ... so exciting! 
Our office :).  Love this group of amazing people! Our office of Resilient Solutions, Inc was a year old when Cricket joined the team seven years ago!

The end of 2013 it started to become clear that Cricket was letting me know she had worked hard for seven years and she was getting ready to retire.  I was just sensing she didn't have her passion for working. She was slowing down a little bit. I was trying to prepare myself for this transition ... hoping we had another year or two :).  In January of 2014 in San Francisco, she slowed way down.  I knew.  We finished our meetings and went to the airport.  I knew this was her last flight.  I cried tears of gratitude and sadness that our time as a guide dog team was finished.  As much as I didn't want it to be so, it was my time to give her the gift of a beautiful retirement.  She had loved and cared for me for seven  years. 
-------------------------------------------------------------
It has been almost two months now since that day that I walked with Cricket for the last time.  She is adjusting.  I am adjusting.  I have loved focusing my energy on celebrating her and reminiscing.  Our fridge is covered with pictures of Cricket. She has many opportunities to enjoy life with our family on adventures and also just relaxing at home. 

Our capacity to LOVE.  Friday I received all my travel arrangements to go to San Rafael to be placed with my third guide through Guide Dogs for the Blind.  I fly out for class the morning of March 23rd to open my heart to begin the adventures with my new guide.  This amazing process doesn't take one bit of the love away that I have for Cricket or Pantera.  Our hearts grow and have plenty of space to welcome new love.

7 comments:

GOOSE said...

I have so enjoyed reading your reflections. Bless you Becky.
Blessings,
Goose and MOM

Lablove said...

Your reflections are steeped in all the love of those years, which makes them a joy to read. May your transition to a new, soon-to-be-beloved guide and Cricket's transition to being a beloved retired guide be as smooth as at all possible. Best wishes go with you on the 23rd!

Becky Andrews said...

Goose and Lablove - thank you for your sweet comments. It is such a joy to connect with you both - one of the gifts of blogging!

Lisa and pups said...

Much love to you and Cricket! I'll never forget meeting you and her and Steve in KC with Hosta. One of the highlights of my puppy raising time.

Lisa and pups said...

Much love to you and Cricket! I'll never forget meeting you and her and Steve in KC with Hosta. One of the highlights of my puppy raising time.

Becky Andrews said...

Lisa - That was so special to get to meet you in KC! I hope our paths can cross again sometime soon!

Unknown said...

Blessings to you and Cricket!! What a wonderful story. I have a puppy in San Rafael right now waiting for her perfect someone.. :) Who knows?? I wish you all the best with your new guide, and with Crickets transition into retirment.