My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, June 17, 2013

Lessons Re-Learned.

There was a time where I would wear a race shirt only if I had participated in the event.  That perspective has changed.

This fun blue shirt is the shirt from our registration at the Ogden Marathon - of which I registered and was in the midst of training, but about 5 weeks prior broke my foot. I'm a goal setter. Give me a challenge and something to reach for and I'm in! I had my chart and was crossing off the miles to run each day in preparation for this. One March morning, my foot had enough. I couldn't walk on it. Oh no! At first, I was hopeful that it wasn't broken. Confirmed it was broken - seisamoid fracture. Then, I was hopeful that it would heal quickly. It is still healing - however, I am back to running 3 miles and this morning the pain was minimal... yes!! I was hopeful that I could still run a marathon later in the year and the doctor and physical therapist both said no. Maybe next year. Patience.

Let me tell you some of the lessons re-learned that this shirt represents:

Gratitude. Appreciation
. I have reflected back to our last marathon and recognized that I didn't stop and say thank you feet for carrying me all that way. I have been reminded that everything is a gift.

Learning Patience. I thought I had patience kind of mastered with adjusting to RP ... haha! I wanted my foot to heal quick and having a break that takes ... "a good year before you should run long distances" is teaching me further patience.

Surrendering and celebrating the joy. I recognized as I let go of my set goal (that isn't physically possible at this time) and accepted that it was unclear when I would be able to run a long distance again; it felt great! I wasn't fighting what I wanted but instead being open to what is - surrendering and celebrating the joy all around. Celebrating the joy of running three miles this morning instead of being frustrated that it isn't a longer distance.

Creating New Space. I also recognized when I let go of how I wanted things to be I have had a lot of space for new creativity and ideas.

Its the journey not the destination.  Perhaps on this one I didn't arrive at the destination of the end of the Ogden Marathon, however, there were so many wonderful memories on the journey.  Some pretty amazing runs with my friends in the cold winter.

Empathy.  I have such empathy when I hear someone now talk about their sore feet or finding special shoes, etc.... Yesterday walking to church I realized a pair of my sandals were no longer going to work for me.  Good bye cute sandals as I work on walking without pain.

As I type these in, I am aware that I learned these lessons well with Retinitis Pigmentosa (and so many other experiences in life) but this foot has given me a refresher course and of that I am grateful!!

A setback paves the way for a comeback :).  A broken foot is an opportunity for a refresher course :).

6 comments:

GOOSE said...

Yep we are always learning in this life we live and re-learning. Nothing wrong with that just strengthen us.
Blessings,
Goose

S.DAY said...

You earned that shirt! All the training! You're still awesome and I totally understand the feeling of not meeting your goal.
Next year. I'm hoping to be right there with you again.

wendy said...

Seems like life is always giving us "refresher courses" in things we thought we might have mastered.
But, you handle things with such grace and courage and I certainly learn from you.

Becky Andrews said...

Such kind words - thank you!!

3 labs 4 me said...

We all need a refresher course & thank you for reminding us, that its a good thing.

Grandma & Grandpa said...

So sorry you can't run much for what probably seems like a very long time. I'm glad you can still
run shorter distances! I know how you love it and what a sense of freedom it gives you. Thanks for the wonderful advice in facing things we don't want to face! Love you, Loye