My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, July 13, 2012

Creativity in Running & Walking in Europe

Prior to our vacation I had to take a break from running due to a concussion. By the time we started our vacation I was symptom free -- yay! We were so very grateful that little mishap didn't hamper our vacation. So, my first run was on the treadmill on the cruise on our way to Finland. I remember thinking this is a memorable first run back. It felt great. Our second run on the vacation was in Norway. I realized I had forgotten my tether. Time to be creative. We just needed a flexible belt/rope for me to hold on. Steve had a belt that worked great. It was pretty awesome to run the streets of Norway.  We also ran in Moscow, Russia each morning on the treadmill. A wake-up call meant fresh orange juice delivered to our room which was so much fun.
Lubeck, Germany (love these shorts from Limited and this sweater from United Colors of Bennetton)

We did lots of walking and more walking.  We walked sighted guide  along with my cane out most of the time.  I love the collapsible cane that easily slides in and is out of the way when I don't need it.   When it is out, such an amazing, helpful too.   We developed a few hand signals that gave me clues on steps, crowded areas, etc.  When it was an open area .. hand in hand - so much fun :).
We had so much fun being creative on this adventure in running and walking.  It is our routine, but I am so touched by Steve's incredible kindness and tenderness to me each day.    
Ferry on the way to Germany on the 4th of July!

So, if you are following our journey:  our trip itinerary: we flew to Sweden  - day  3 we  boarded a cruise ship for five days with stops in Helsinki Finland, St. Petersburg, Russia and then back to Sweden.  Then, we flew to Norway for 3 days, caught a plane to Denmark, bus & ferry to Lubech and then Berlin Germany, then plane to Moscow for 3 days!  If you are in the neighborhood, we will be happy to show you our 1000 pictures.  Watch out kids when you are invited over for Sunday dinner :).    


I returned home to learn that the marathon training is on!  We ran ten miles on Wednesday, and I am so excited to be back in the game of running.  

5 comments:

pattib said...

What a wonderful trip! Your first run on the cruise ship sounds special--I often imagined what that would be like, if you could sense the movement of the boat. I wish I were coming for dinner to see all your pictures. Have fun!

Karen said...

So glad you are able to be back running when you enjoy it so much! The pictures we saw were great.

Lacey said...

What an awesome vacation! All such wonderful places! I have that trip on my list of things to do. With a little positive thinking maybe it will happen sooner than later, right? :) Glad you are back to running.

3 labs 4 me said...

Your vacation sounds amazing. I thought about you guys & I knew you were having a marvelous time. Can't wait to see your photos. Talk to you soon.

Shelly :) said...

My husband and I use hand signals when we are in big crowds too! It helps that is he about a foot taller than me so he can see what is going on ahead of us. Usually one squeeze means we are going right and two squeezes means we are going left. :)

I have loved seeing your pictures. What an amazing trip! :)