My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In my corner

Someone recently emailed me and asked me if I was always so 'up and peppy'. I laughed. Of course, not.   I shared a little bit for Seeing Beautiful.   Life is beautiful and I am an 'up and peppy' person much of the time.  However, it certainly isn't all zip-a-dee-do-dah  -- blind or not.

Courage does not always roar.  Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying, "I will try again tomorrow." Mary Ann Radmacher.  I like this quote a lot.  I'm a marriage and family therapist so I am a fan of processing and sharing our feelings.  Feelings have one desire:  to be felt and listened to.  I'm a believer in self-compassion and the research states as we are kind to ourselves we gain 'space' and the ability for further growth on our journey.  I had a tough moment a few days ago where I just was frustrated with blindness.  There were some inconveniences that in that moment I was wishing weren't the case.  Steve was there and listened.  I shed a few tears (pretty rare at this point) and felt so much better!    (Tears have a healing chemical - really!).  Dr. Barbara Siple quotes a man with RP:  It is much harder going blind than being blind.

We then went for a walk with Cricket and enjoyed a beautiful spring evening.

I like this quote from Steve Hanamura:   "Find two or three people who believe in you and make sure they're in your corner at your worst moments."  I am so grateful my Steve has been in my corner for 28 years.  He tells me I'm in his corner, too.  That warms my heart.  I reflect with gratitude on the others in my corner there for me throughout the years.    

I reflect on another time a few years back when my vision had taken another drop, and I was having a moment of discouragement.  Steve and I were in the car, and I felt that support of someone that totally believed in me.  It felt like the belief he had in me was transferrable, and I could borrow it until I had regained enough on my own.

We ran together in San Diego - four miles along the bayfront.  Amazing.  Beautiful in so many ways.   

Tonight Steve and I went on our 24-mile bike ride.  Such fun.  A friend saw us and stopped for a hug and to say hi.  Made my night.  We cycled further where another friend/colleague's new house is being started.  They were there so we got to stop and say hi and celebrate this new beginning for them.  Loved that our bike ride was a social event as well.
  
Marathon preparation with my two friends is going well.  I love having a schedule to follow - 4 miles tomorrow as we build back up after our last half-marathon in April prepping for the run in September.

5 comments:

Grandma & Grandpa said...

A wonderful post, Becky. You make us feel like we can surely deal with whatever challenges we have. Thank you.

Congratulations to Natalie! Looks like you all had a great time together.

Infrequent Flyers said...

Up and peppy--how funny! I think you CHOOSE to be up and peppy, in spite of circumstances, and that's what's so inspiring about you.

Unknown said...

Oh, Becky. We love the way you see and create beautiful. The fact that you share so much with your husband and he certainly shares so much with you is a beautiful way to celebrate an example of what makes a strong marriage. We lift each other up. We listen when it's down. And we love all the way in between. Last night Andrew and I went on a bike ride. One mile in he was stung by a bee on his neck. Andrew is deathly allergic to bee stings. We carry an epi-pin with us everywhere, so we had it. In the 15 minutes it took us to get back to the house and to the urgent care clinic his entire face to the tips of his fingers had swollen badly. They took immediate and perfect care of him. In those terribly scary minutes we worked like a well oiled machine (though I don't really remember getting us to the urgent care center). My sweet husband simply apologized that he'd messed up our dinner plans. We could laugh at that given the fact that we was safe. When you write about being in each other's corner, we were just that. We were an unending corner, really representing a circle where we worked together to get him well. I spent last night making sure he continued breathing while he slept soundly. It was the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. Ever. I love that this post resonated today. Thank you!

Becky Andrews said...

Oh Lydia! Thanks for sharing and give a hug to Andrew. Your last sentence ... so touching on the beauty of the sound of breathing.

Mimi - thank you! I do think it is an intention that we can create.

Loye - thank you so much. Indeed, wonderful time at graduation.

3 labs 4 me said...

Even though I don't live close by, I hope you know that I am always in your corner, no matter what.
xoxo