My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, November 2, 2009

Seize the Day

As I've been reflecting on gratitude, the concept of 'taking for granted' has been entering my mind. I recall when I broke my two arms - I yearned to be able to feed myself, sweep my floor again, comb my own hair, etc, etc. When the casts came off 12 weeks later, I felt so free and so grateful and didn't ever want to take for granted the ability to do these basic activities again. This was a life changing experience and I do find myself on days remembering this experience and being grateful for the joys of my arms and hands. Two weeks ago while in San Diego I received a phone call from my friend Kelly's husband saying that Kelly had died that weekend. Although she had a challenge disease (Arnold Chiari Condition), it was very shocking and unexpected. I miss her. She appreciated each day and simply loved being able to be a wife and mother. She wanted me to go shopping with her to help her find a new Fall outfit (If you hadn't noticed, I enjoy helping someone shop :D) and get a caramel apple. Unfortunately, we didn't get this outing done before she died. She was my age - 44, survived by her husband and four children. Her name is still on my gmail list and perhaps because I wasn't able to be in town to go to her funeral, I still hope we will get that day to go shopping and help her find that new fun outfit she yearned for or that my computer will beep indicating that she is online and wants to 'chat'. As I have reflected back on our last conversations, I realize that Kelly knew her time was limited and she didn't take a day for granted. She seized each day and in celebrating her and her life, I will appreciate the simple beauty of being alive and not take this gift for granted. Seize the day.

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. C. Ozick

4 comments:

Renee said...

Wonderful message for today. Thanks for it!

(Could I ask you some questions about how you dealt with orientation training? Do you have an e-mail address I could contact you at? mine is mommyblogyay at yahoo dot com if you're open to letting me pick your brain.

Foote Steppes said...

I also have questions! My email is douglas at bluestatedigital dot com. I'd love to hear from you.

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

You are awesome. Good thoughts

Infrequent Flyers said...

Wow, breaking two arms at once would be a huge challenge! I'd feel so helpless, and 12 weeks was a LONG time.

Although I only had slight interaction with Kelly, I too felt that she really did her best to seize the days she had.

Thank you for the reminder, Becky--today is precious.