My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fun in Park CIty ...


Steve, Cricket & I went up to Park City Friday evening. We had a lot of fun. As usual, Steve was in search of some new running shoes (he actually runs!). He kept saying -- Beck, they have some really nice women's running shoes, let's go look at the ones for you, etc (if he buys something he wants to make sure I am getting something too) ... I finally said, my running shoes are not at all worn out - I think you need to actually use them before they wear out. But, they were really cute in pink - maybe I'll take up running just to get the cute shoes! No...
Cricket and I were on our own for some of the evening while Steve went to an appointment in Park City. She did SO good - a few things to brag about: there was major construction going on along the sidewalk and she figured out with the 'hop up' command how to negotiate around and get back on her straight line; also she has mastered 'find the counter' so good! That is a really helpful request for a blind shopper! Love ya, Cricker girl.
To the man who held the door open and then got really frustrated at me because I didn't go through the door he held open. Sir, it is really helpful if you SPEAK to someone who is blind - your silently holding the door open is kind but I didn't know you were holding the door open until you got angry when evidentally I didn't go through that door and another customer explained the situation to me ... you were somewhat blocking the door so my guide dog went around and found another door that did not have an obstacle.
Oh, and to the manager of the kitchen appliance store -- thank you for your kindness! She was SO excited to have a 'service animal' enter her store. She said they had just gotten a letter from their headquarters educating them on service animals and so the whole time we were shopping in that store she kept telling Cricket she was welcome to come into the store anytime - she knew that she wasn't supposed to talk to her or bother her while she was working.

1 comment:

Princess Coral said...

Hi Becky,

Are you already in San Diego? Hope we can meet up!