My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflecting on 9/11


I think we all remember where we were on September 11, 2001. I recall riding into work with my friend, Lori. We didn't say a word as we listened to the news in shock. I yearned to be back home and have my family around me. We had all left for the day prior to knowing the extent of what had happened.

I remember feeling the heartbreak and grief of so many who had family members and friends who died on that day. As so many of you, I cried at the stories and final conversations shared by loved ones. I marveled at the heroic efforts of so many and wondered - what would I have done? As the names of those who died were read today, was reminded that the grief continues for the family and friends who had loved ones die on that day.

One of the lessons I was reminded of on 9/11, was the reminder to tell those I love - "I love you" ... to feel gratitude for my family, friends, and this great country that we live in.

As I was writing this, I realized I had not talked to my dear friend Lori, who I rode into work with for several years, in over a year! So often, I have thought I need to call Lori - but you know how it goes - too late to call, too early to call, she might be busy, etc ... I just picked up the phone and called her and said remember our ride into work 7 years ago on 9/11 and when can we do lunch? I love you. Felt so good to reconnect.

No comments: