My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, March 10, 2014

Cricket's First Official Day of Retirement

Although Cricket has only worked as a guide dog one short route in the past two months, today was her first official day off since her party :).  Cricket came to my office today to say good bye to the people in one of my groups.  Some of them have known Cricket since we first became a team.  Cricket brought dog bone sugar cookies and her retirement book for them to sign.  She spent the rest of the day relaxing in the office and enjoyed getting some belly rubs in the waiting area.  Someone asked when she would be back - I said oh she will drop in periodically.  She is now going to have a little more time to pursue some of her other interests ... getting her therapy dog certification, going for long walks with Steve, relaxing in the sunshine in the backyard, visiting friends that she hasn't had a lot of time to see.    One of my colleagues asked if she could come help her at times with some of her clients.  Sure, when her schedule works.  We decided she would have a permanent bed in the office for those days she wants to come in.  The sweet life of retirement, right!

2 comments:

3 labs 4 me said...

Ahhhh……………..the life of retirement. Enjoy this new chapter of life, sweet Cricket. Congratulations. Love from Oregon.

Karen said...

Sounds good!! Maybe she can come visit her grandma too.