My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Tethering Each Other

I have a friend, with Retinitis Pigmentosa,  who is starting to run, and I am so excited for her! She asked me to share further about how my tether came to be so this link may be helpful.  My tether is red - stretchy fabric - made by my friend Shannon  four years ago! 
Tether

The stretchy side goes around the arm of my guide - friend.  Then, I hold on to the other loop.  I can feel their movement and with some verbal cues ... we run!  Shannon and I ran a couple 1/2 marathons, 10K, 5K's together.  This journey was so amazing and gave me so much courage. 
  
I wear a vest which helps others be aware.  On the sidebar of my blog - the ksl story shows me running with my friends. We ran a marathon together last year.  Awesome experience.  At the time of this story, I was still recovering from a broken foot so it was a quick run but so much fun!  I can't thank my friends, enough.  It is indeed a blessing in my life.  I am so grateful for their friendships and tethering me.
 Steve and I also enjoy running together.  Because our strides are different he tethers me through verbal cues in open areas and the actual tether when it is crowded.    

Tether - Anchors something moveable to a reference point which may be fixed or moving.  I like thinking of the tether as an anchor.  We have our spiritual anchors in our life that keep us grounded.  I also believe we are here to tether each other.  I am so very grateful for the anchors - who tether me through life. Sometimes we are the steady part guiding the way and other times we may be holding on to be guided.  Other times we are simply connected perhaps, enjoying a good conversation on the run.  I think there are times we don't even realize how connected we are.  Suddenly, there is something to be steered around and we are reminded of the gratitude of being tethered.  Running.  Life.

Thank you to each of you who have read my blog.  To me, an email, a comment is a tether which I love :)!  

4 comments:

S.DAY said...

Wow has it been FOUR YEARS!!!!!???? I can't believe how time has flown by! I loved sharing my running with you! I love you so much! And I love that the tether has lasted so long! If you ever need a new one let me know!!!
xoxox
Shannon

Becky Andrews said...

Shan - I am pretty amazed that I have not lost it in four years!! I have a friend that would love one :). Hope to see you soon.

3 labs 4 me said...

I may not comment that often, but I read your blog everyday. It keeps me tethered to you, my dear friend.
xoxo

Becky Andrews said...

Thank you Debi - Grateful to be tethered to you :).