My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Inspired

Yesterday we went for our run - an eight-mile run as we prepare for our marathon in 15 weeks! I love having a schedule, setting a goal and going for it.  In order for me to run, I rely on a running guide. I am so very grateful to have some friends that are willing to not only run with me but take on this aspect! I can't speak for them, but I know I have a lot of fun!  Even if I could run without a guide, I can't imagine doing it without them ... it is just so much more fun to share in the journey! I care deeply about them and love the opportunity to run and be their friends.

Yesterday one of my friends that has run with us ran the first time as my guide runner. She was awesome. I have found myself reflecting what that must have been like for her. I don't know what its like to be on that side of the tether especially for the first time. I think it must be much harder than on my side. I just go for it with no worries at all. Like Cricket when we are walking, they have to be aware of what is all around us - share verbal cues, go around obstacles, traffic, etc, etc. I am SO inspired by them.

Hope you have a cozy, relaxing weekend. I think Cricket has the right idea :).  Although her body language seems to be saying - when is this winter going to be over! Hang in there, Crickers
In our dining room -- now, are 96 hygiene kits prepared by some wonderful women and girls.  As the items began to arrive, I felt inspired by the work of so many to make this service possible.  The girls wrote such sweet notes in the bags ... "Somebody loves you", "You are special"  "Have a nice day"  "I care about you" to mention a few.  Their sweetness and love is inspiring and I think will be felt by this community.  

The power of love gives meaning and purpose to life.  Love reaches beyond the borders of our challenges, and we find ourselves doing what we came to earth to do.  Ardeth G. Kapp


I'm sitting here doing my braille homework through the Hadley School for the Blind - all free of charge.  Inspiring story of making a difference:

Hadley's History: A Dream Realized

When he lost his sight at age 55, William A. Hadley faced many challenges. A former high school teacher, Mr. Hadley taught himself braille so that he could continue to enjoy reading, but was frustrated to find that there were few educational opportunities for blind individuals.
Mr. Hadley's dream was to help others acquire communication skills that foster independence. Together with Dr. E.V.L. Brown, an ophthalmologist and neighbor, Mr. Hadley conceived the idea of teaching braille by mail. In 1920, the school opened to its first student. When Mr. Hadley mailed the braille course to this Kansas woman desperate to continue reading, one wonders if he ever imagined the eventual result: a school that would become the single largest worldwide educator of blind people.
When Mr. Hadley died in 1941, the school had 800 students enrolled. Today, the Hadley school has an annual enrollment of more than 10,000 students from all 50 states and 100 countries.
We at The Hadley School for the Blind remain committed to realizing our founder's dream for decades to come.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of you and your training. How wonderful to have the course charted to lead to another marathon experience! What a treat, as I'm sure it is for your friends running with you! Sweet Cricket just makes me smile. She's got the right idea, curl up and get cozy.

I didn't know about the story you shared, so thank you for sharing. I'll be reading more into the background of this.