My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, August 10, 2012

My Cricket

Yesterday I went into an appointment in a confusing house turned offices.  Leaving the appointment I was a little lost on how I had gotten in there!  I said Cricket outside. in hopes that she would know the way! She did not let me down.  She weaved through the offices, found the stairs downstairs and we were outside. I stopped and thought ... 15 years of working with two incredible guides does not make this moment any less. When we were outside, I gave her a hug and a kibble/treat.  She earned that little kibble.  We walked further to catch the bus and came upon the sidewalk sale in our cute little town and lost track of time a bit.  We walked to the other side to the post office, and as we crossed we could hear the bus.   I was hopping he knew we were trying to catch the bus.  I waved and thankfully, he waited for us to cross.  So nice.  
Like us all, right, Cricket has many roles to play.  Guide Dog is top, but she also takes her role as therapy dog very serious in the office.   Her harness is off and she is on her bed and able to get up and come to a client if they would like and she gets the okay from me. Today she was on her bed when a new client came ... at the conclusion of the session she said I just don't think I would have been able to open up as much if your dog hadn't of been here.   Thank you Cricket for all you do in a day.  
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!  We have raspberries ... jam to make, perhaps this weekend!  They are just so yummy to eat.  Five miles in the morning to run.  That sounds so doable, now.

5 comments:

Reddunappy said...

The dogs are so special.

I love reading about the stuff you two do.

GOOSE said...

Cricket is not only a blessing to you but to others as well. MOM tells me that she has had a similar experiences with people who come to talk to her at her office and I am there. It's amazing what our presence and soft furs can do for people.
Blessings,
Goose

BECKY said...

Oh, Becky! I almost shed a tear reading this post. Cricket really is a special gal, isn't she? So smart and sweet and lovable. And I can totally understand your new client's feelings about her. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story and photos!

Retired Duo said...

Cricket is my hero. I've gotten lost in confusing buildings and I'm not visually impaired! Thank goodness for Cricket's ability to figure it all out and find the door to the outside. I completely understand how animals help us open up emotionally - I'm forever having deep discussions with my cats and they always know when to purr at the right times. Have a good weekend, Becky and Cricket.
Pat in Ohio

Myrna R. said...

I just love Cricket. So glad she plays all her roles so well.

Have a great weekend. Enjoy that jam.