My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Snippets of Creativity. Retinitis Pigmentosa.

I stood in my closet this morning wanting to be creative -- would that bright blue top go with my animal print belt, etc :) or was it a little 'off'?  Steve was off to an early morning meeting so didn't have the visual okay.    One evening we practiced using our iphones - facetime that could be used for these types of situations (if he wasn't in a meeting :).   I don't need the whole meeting voting on whether my outfit matches.  So I opted for a green top that I knew was a go.  I am loving my Sanduk shoes that my friend convinced me to get ... so comfy and fun.


I spent years with a 10-2 (how is that for awesome hours?) job while the kids were in school.   My guide dog, Pantera, and I rode the bus to work with two transfers.  It was pretty structured - take the 8:45 bus to get there by 10 (many books were listened to and friends made during those commuting days)  2:10 bus got me home by the time kids were home at 3:30 ready for all the after school activities/evening activities.  I even cooked dinner regularly at that point!  Wednesdays were my day off to volunteer at their schools, clean the house, etc, etc. Those were sweet, structured days.

When someone learns that I didn't drive while my kids were growing up they ask ... how did you do that?  Well it was a team effort - grateful for a awesome dad on the team and much creativity.  We rode the bus often, walked, they took their bikes, and at times even though it isn't easy, we asked friends.  We found creative ways to help and contribute without being able to be the driver.  I used to have a play group for the kids of the moms that were carpooling my kids.  As our kids were older, we paid a driver to help us out as well.

Fast forward to life now.  I work lots of hours - sometimes early morning, sometimes into the evening, every once in a while on a Saturday -- the joys of self-employment and setting your own schedule.  It lends to some flexibility and also some additional creativity on transportation.  This week Kendall has been home and is my driver when he is available.  Awesome.  Most of the time Steve can take me and pick me up from work.   Later start days -creativity comes into play.   Sometimes it means getting there early (which is okay, there is always something to be done), sometimes it means calling a cab, or sometimes it means asking a friend for a ride.

Retinitis Pigmentosa hasn't stopped me from doing something ... it just may mean that I need to get a little more creative on getting from point A to point B, in finding that fun outfit to wear, in finding a way to run,  ... :).

Running:  Today was 3 miles.  We are on our 18-week training plan for the Marathon.  So cool!  Creativity.  I think of my friend that sewed my tether.  So special with great memories.  I think of my two friends who run with me now.  I recognize that because I have had to be creative with Retinitis Pigmentosa I have met many wonderful people and have some great friends.

5 comments:

Madison said...

I certainly don't comment much on your blog but I wanted to let you know that you have been such an inspiration to me and even my friends through your blog. I read every post and am in awe of you joy and love of life. Have a great day.

-Madison

Unknown said...

I love this! I just watched a TED video by Sir Ken Robinson (who is AWESOME) about honoring our creative capacity for life vs teaching ourselves out of it to fit some United States Industrialized standard of living. It is so refreshing! In fact, I just put streamers on my beach cruiser that I ride to the grocery store. It makes me giggle like crazy as I listen to the wind swishing the streamers around while I ride. Now, this pales in comparison to the beautiful point you've made about creativity, but it's about finding beautiful in the way that works for you and your family, not someone elses. I love it!

Becky Andrews said...

Madison - thank you so much - how nice of you! I am so glad you commented.

Lydia - Love all you share and give insight into my ramblings and so much more!

Becky Andrews said...

Madison - thank you so much - how nice of you! I am so glad you commented.

Lydia - Love all you share and give insight into my ramblings and so much more!

jennohara said...

Oh how you inspire me Becky!!
I love how nothing slows you - or your creativity down!