My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Lots of Snippets of Laughter. Retinitis Pigmentosa

I love to laugh - the kind where you are on the floor because you are laughing so hard. The other day in our breakroom a couple of my colleagues had me at that place. It was hilarious. I took a picture of Cricket eating because this little routine makes me laugh on my early morning run days. She gets fed bright and early when I get up to run. I feed her and then turn off the light so that I'm not disturbing Steve although let's face it -- me banging around, sometimes asking him to help me find something generally is a wake-up call. Back to Cricket :), she will be eating and as I turn the dimmer light to off she stops eating and you can hear a pause so I gradually give her a little light. I know she is able to see again when she starts eating. It makes me giggle that she likes to see her food and that inspite of being a 'hungry' lab she will actually stop eating when the light is off.

There are many things that are pretty funny about living life with Retinitis Pigmentosa. Sometimes you just get yourself into little predicaments and have embarrassing moments. I got the giggles the other day walking back from the market when some kids kept asking their teacher -- is that a blind lady or a blind dog :). Children laugh a lot ... as adults we stop laughing so much. I hope you find much laughter this weekend. We are going out with some friends tomorrow night that guaranteed there will be laughter. I'm braving going to City Creek for the first time tomorrow to meet Natalie for lunch -- there will be laughter.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Belly laughs are the BEST! You're so right, children laugh an average of 300 times per day, adults an average of 50. I bet dogs laugh about as much as children - they seem to mirror children's spirits more too. I mean, I bet Cricket giggles when you turn the lights back on. One of my all-time favorite you tube videos to offer laughter is the child who laughs at paper being torn. There's a great story behind how we can see beautiful in the face of rejection and this child reminds us how. You've shared your reflections from the video before, but I'll share again because I watch it on a regular basis to make me laugh - big belly laughs. In fact, I'm off to watch it again. Thanks for helping to get my average up to 300 today.

http://seeabeautifulworld.blogspot.com/2012/03/ripping-paper-can-be-beautiful.html

Anonymous said...

We were meant to laugh. There is so much joy to be found in this life. You seem to find much of that! A matter of perspective, I'd say!! Have a weekend full of smiles, my friend!

S.DAY said...

You're so sweet to mention me! I feel SO FAR from being a running partner again. A little depressing. A lot actually. I miss my "healthy" days an our daily conversations. I know I'll be back... it just might be later than expected. So So So jealous that you're doing a full marathon! SO SO SO proud of you!!!!!
I love you like a sister and miss you always.