My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Deep Thoughts

Tomorrow we will put Cricket's harness back on without the handle.  She can wear it for a short time and see how it feels.  Then, hopefully by Sunday she can walk to church as a guide dog again! 
Walking with Steve, Cricket and Dahlia
I'm a fan of the serenity prayer ... Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.
In our lobby at the office is a beautiful version cross stitched from my beautiful mom.
Yesterday I listened to a webinar (I generally have way more CE -- continuing ed units -- than I need.  Love to learn)  The topic was Living in the Second Circle:  How we are changed by the work we do with Ben Wolfe.  It was powerful with much wisdom to ponder.  Such as: we spend time preparing a will putting our finances in place ... what about sharing our will of what mattersOnce upon a time .. we had TIME with people.  Live life.  Don't pass through it.  Listen or your tongue will make you deaf.  There are times when being truly listened to is more important than being fed.  Reflect on who has gotten off and on your life train.  The holiest of all holidays are the secret anniversaries of the heart.  Henry Wadsforth Longfellow.

One of the books recommended:  Five things we cannot change and the happiness we find by embracing them, by David Richo:
1. Everything changes and ends.
2. Things do not always go according to plan.
3. Life is not always fair.
4. Pain is part of life.
5. People are not loving and loyal all the time.

I finished the webinar and thought what a blessing to be in a profession where I am profoundly affected by the work I do each day.

6 comments:

Brittany said...

I will cross my fingers that things go well and Cricket can return to guiding. I am sure she misses it like crazy!

BECKY said...

What a great post! "Live life, don't pass through it." Wow! That's one of those quotes I'll have to print and hang on my bulletin board. Thanks for sharing all this lovely info.

Maxmom said...

What beautiful thoughts, Becky. I think I must go out and buy a few inspirational books. :)
Holding thumbs that Cricket will soon be ready to be your guide again.
Keep writing!
With love
Caryl

Maxmom said...

What beautiful thoughts, Becky. I think I must go out and buy a few inspirational books. :)
Holding thumbs that Cricket will soon be ready to be your guide again.
Keep writing!
With love
Caryl

Becky Andrews said...

Brittany - Thanks. I do think she misses it.
Becky - Yes, he had the quote with a picture of an hour glass with the sand running through.
Caryl - ah, thank you. I'll keep writing :).

Infrequent Flyers said...

Hooray for you and for Cricket, Becky! Hope everything goes as planned for the trek to church.

I recently came across the word "kenosis", which very much aligns with your thoughts and the serenity prayer. It means "the emptying of self", which I translate as being able to let go of your own agenda and accept whatever comes into your life. When things get tough, that word springs into my mind, along with the Beatles' song, "Let it be....there will be an answer, let it be."