My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Therapist's Thoughts: S.T.O.P.

Yesterday, Cricket and I had the opportunity to demo what it is like walking with a guide dog.   We walked to a curb where Cricket stops, looks up at me to wait for the signal that I have acknowledged the curb and ready to proceed.   The one walking with us thought this was especially intriguing and wanted to learn more.  This simple gesture of stop - helps immensely.   He acknowledged her sweet face looking up at me as if 'checking in' which yes, she is doing very much so.  She is waiting to know that I have acknowledged the curb, aware of where we are at and ready to proceed.  When this occurs, I get the chance to stop, breathe, and acknowledge Cricket and to say thank you or good girl in her language and proceed.

This reminded me of a discussion for our Mindfulness Class Today.  STOP = S = Stop.  T = Take a breath.  O = Observe.  P = Proceed.  As stated in A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl and Elisha Goldstein, by taking a moment to stop, take a breth, and observe whatever is happening, including your own thoughts, emotions and sensations, you can reconnect with your experience and then proceed and respond more effectively.   One client told me she had begun to schedule for now until it becomes a practice, an alarm that reminds her periodically through the day to Stop. 

I will be at Yoga Retreat that I will learn more skills and gain a greater understanding of myself.  Love it.

In answer to your comments and emails (THANK YOU!) about my post yesterday:

Yes, I was so very fortunate that my wrist healed up so quickly.  I look forward to our next visit to St. George where it is still warm enough to get back on the bike! 

As far as falling - I mentioned that I fall a lot.  Its not a big deal.  I just go at a fast clip and sometimes trip and stumble WHEN I am not using my sweet guide dog or cane. I get multitasking and forget that blindness is part of who I am and that I am not getting information visually.  I at times, get in my comfort zone at home or the office and need to remind myself to use STOP and slow down. 

And yes, I will share my embarrassing experience.  So far, I am glad that I have been able to provide laughter to all my colleagues. 

I loved our run this morning!  I know running isn't for everyone and when a client says I ought to be exercising - I ask what do you want to do?   What feels good to your body?  Throw out the 'should's'.    I find yoga, cycling and running nurturing and loving to my body.  The day that I don't enjoy the run, I think I'll push the snooze button.  I'm super excited to try to remember what downdog in yoga!  Just my random thoughts on a Thursday morning.    Hope you have a good day!

3 comments:

Maxmom said...

Dear Becky
Thanks for your special message today. It was just what I needed. Things are so hectic here with the rollout of my book...At 15h00 yesterday, I realised that I'd still not eaten any breakfast.
Perhaps I should set my alarm to...to S T O P.
Sending lotsaluv
MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

Grandma & Grandpa said...

Glad the wrist is healing so well and the cast is off!! I found the S.T.O.P exercise very helpful for my "uptightness"!

Unknown said...

Hi Becky! Thank you for your inspiring blogs:-) I enjoy being reminded of the important moments in life. Take care my friend! Love, Debbie