My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, June 27, 2011

Helen Keller Day

It's Hellen Keller day.  Her tenacity, resilience, and advocacy efforts inspire me.   Many of her writings and quotes are a message of gratitude and appreciation for life. My colleagues and clients inspired me once again today and remind me of one of my favorite Hellen Keller quotes: The human being is born with an incurable capacity for making the best of things.   

I who am blind can give one hint to those who see - one admonition to those who would make full use of the gift of sight: Use your eyes as if tomorrow you would be stricken blind. And the same method can be applied to other senses. Hear the music of voices, the song of a bird, the mighty strains of an orchestra, as if you would be stricken deaf to-morrow. Touch each object you want to touch as if tomorrow your tactile sense would fail. Smell the perfume of flowers, taste with relish each morsel, as if tomorrow you could never smell and taste again. Make the most of every sense; glory in all the facets of pleasure and beauty which the world reveals to you through the several means of contact which Nature provides.

4 comments:

S.DAY said...

Beautiful words. Absolutely amazing advice.

Just Jess for now said...

She really was/is an inspirational woman. And thank you for your thoughts as well.

jennohara said...

So inspirational. She kind of reminds me of you, Becky.

DCHY said...

Yes, I totally agree. I've had people come to me and tell me they wished they had enjoyed their final days with a sense now forever lost.