My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Just Wondering

Do you remember what you were wearing for a special event? or that special someone that gave it to you?
I put this outfit together and it has me thinking of some special times.
The skirt - enjoying Temple Square with my friend, Kay, from Nebraska. I had so much fun sharing our city.
The black sweater - giving a presentation to a group of Young Women.
The earrings - Natalie and Adam gave them to me one year for Mother's Day. I have lost one of these earrings so many times and it will appear in the bottom of my purse, a drawer at work, etc.
The black shoes - Found them at Nordstrom Rack after a fun lunch with Steve.
The beautiful dog - almost four years ago at Guide Dogs for the Blind!

I would love to share more Stories of Resilience. Please share yours. You can email me at becky.resilient@gmail.com.

10 comments:

Lucent Imagery said...

Yes I do have strong memories associated with clothes - the holiday they were bought on, where I first wore the item, who bought it for me etc. Just last night we were talking with friends and I was saying how I remember the craziest small details around my photos. I will look at a photo and remember what I said or thought just before I took it, maybe what I was wearing etc. My brain is full!

Erin said...

Isn't it funny!? Things like clothes really do bring back certain memories. So does music. There is a certain song that I love to listen to because it instantly takes me back to childhood summers in St. George.

Love your post and love Nordstrom Rack! :)

L^2 said...

Haha... yes, I have memories associated with certain items of clothing too - usually a special or important day on which I wore it.

Also, I wanted to remind you about the Second Assistance Dog Blog Carnival which is happening soon. Post submissions are due by Midnight next Monday Jan. 17, 2011, and the theme is "Decisions". We would love to include a post from you!

Karen said...

I don't remember so much what I was wearing on special occasions but I remember what my neighbor in Idaho was wearing when she came over and told me President Kennedy was shot. Strange huh!!

Clive said...

I hold onto clothes here especially for the memories they invoke - it makes wearing them all the more special.

My Mom died just before Murray was born and my mother-in-law made Murray's christening robe from my Mom's wedding dress. It meant a huge amount to me to have Mom's dress (and presence) around me at Murray's baptism. Since then, 12 years ago, all my nephews used it too at their christenings.

3 labs 4 me said...

You know, I can't remember what happened to me a week ago. However, I do remember when someone gives me a special piece of jewelry, purse or other special gifts. I even have wedding presents that I still use in my kitchen & I can remember who gave them to me. That was 31 yrs. ago!!! Doesn't the mind work in mysterious ways?

Becky Andrews said...

So nice to hear from all of you and your special memories.

L2 - thanks for the note. I will write my entry!

wendy said...

I think that is why I hold on to some cloths/jewelry because of the memories they have.
I can't even fit into some of them anymore,and NEVER wear some of the jewelry, but I'll never part with them
that's like letting go of the memory

I believe on the shoe HOARDERS...they call that emotional hoarding. hmmmmmm

wendy said...

oh brother
and that would be SHOW Hoarders.......not shoe

Mandy and Supreme said...

Becky,

I just wanted to say I look forward to reading your blog every day. Your posts are hopeful, reflective, appreciative. They make me smile, even the sad ones. Thank you for being you!


Mandy (and Cancun in training) and new puppy Saxon