My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Yoga. Why?

Those who have read my blog for awhile (thank you!), know that I am such a fan of yoga. Thank you to the joy of blogging, I have record of my first class. I have been reflecting on the gifts that I have gained from my commitment to yoga for the past 20 months.
Not in any particular order, just what came to mind in this moment.  Being in the moment - something that  yoga has helped me to embrace more fullly. 

1. Have learned on a deeper level the joy of embracing life as is. As Corena states so beautifully - Say yes, to the experience I am in.   Many a day I have used this phrase to embrace what I am experiencing. 
1. Have not visited the emergency room since I started yoga. Prior, I  had multiple breaks and stitches from 'encounters' with objects and falls. I still struggle to balance in a yoga pose, but I am so much more connected and aware of my body and surroundings. This is a big victory.
2. I have learned to simply 'be' not just 'do'. Originally, yoga was recomended to me by a massage therapist. I indicated that I was getting a lot of flashing lights with my eyes. She suggested that I needed to be able to listen to my body and understand what was happening. I had just blamed it on that darn Retinitis Pigmentosa. In this yoga journey, I have learned so much about me and when I have something like flashing lights to check in with myself. 
3. A friend and I really wanted to do something together. Yoga became something for over a year that we did together. By the time, she was unable to go with me anymore I was hooked, and we had become closer friends. I was a little nervous to keep going without her, but have met so many wonderful, nice people who have been so kind to Cricket and me. Beautiful friendships have been formed.
4. Yoga has helped me to have a healthy balance in my life. I love my work and at this stage in life can get absorbed in my work. It was becoming easy for me to be working 50+ hours and in my profession that is inviting compassion fatigue. From what I have learned 'on the mat', I have created a healthier balance.  Yoga helps me set an example for my clients on healthy self-care.
5.Physical benefits:  I recently went to the doctor and he asked me if I was an Olympian (I PROMISE).  I know he was kidding but then he went on to say my heart rate and blood pressure were so good like an Olympian.  Some good genes and also yoga attribute to this benefit of feeling so healthy.
6.  I did a search on my blog and found that 93 posts indicated a lesson learned/insight gained from yoga that day!  Such as:  Can we be present in our moment of challenge and invite the learning to occur?  Honor the courage of saying I'll get up and try again and 91 more. 

Namaste.  Thank you to my sweet husband, who honors my passion and makes sure that I am able to get to yoga.

3 comments:

Clive said...

You know, you might even have persuaded me to give it a try!

take care
Fiona

Becky Andrews said...

Yes, Fiona, try it you might like it :D

Katrin said...

I keep wanting to take a yoga class just for those reasons! Maybe in January, have to see what happens...