My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, August 23, 2010

Resilient Students

Each summer I have had the chance to visit a camp with young teens who are blind. I was asked to help them understand what traits they can develop as they learn about RESILIENCY. The following are the seven that we talked about and we played a game in each area. It was a lot of fun, and this presenter probably learned much from them.

Insight: Increasing self-awareness and developing a sense of identity.
Nurture a talent or skill, learn to articulate your feelings, & create a
support system were some of the ideas we talked about in this area.
Independence: Asserting oneself, making healthy choices.
Understanding interdependence, recognize their value and self-worth, portray
a sense of confidence and help the student to feel in charge of the situation.
Relationships: Making and keeping healthy reciprocal relationships - I help you,
you help me.
Initiative: Making Decisions - Being Proactive - Setting Realistic Goals.
Creativity: Generating Alternatives to helping them thrive.

Humour: Looking at the lighter side of things.

Morality: Making decisions to live a good life - to serve/help others.

I love having the chance to talk and share with these young students and wish them the best as this new year begins.

Thank you so much to those who have shared your stories. PLEASE, share your story of Resilience. Email me at becky.resilient@gmail.com

No comments: