My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, October 22, 2009

AWKWARD

Let's face it - public restrooms are a challenge if you are blind. No two are alike. Soap dispensers, towels, garbage cans are in unique places. One thing generally Cricket and I can count on is her finding the open stall door to go into. Somehow she has figured out that we are seeking the biggest door too. Who knows how, she's brilliant. So, on our recent vacation in the restroom at Coronado when she walked confidently to the open door that was open neither one of us expected what was next. We walked in, Cricket hesitated but I figured just because we had 'arrived at our destination'. It was already occupied! I mumbled an oh, excuse me ... so sorry as I scurried out of the stall. The woman already occupying it I think was in such shock she never said a word! Silence is golden or awkward. Oh my so awkward but afterwards we had a good laugh about the whole incident. Lesson learned: PLEASE SHUT THE DOOR and if someone comes walking in, please say something :D and also as my instructor would say - follow your dog. As I thought back Cricket did hesitate by the door - I just really had to go!After our awkward moment, Steve and I had an enjoyable afternoon at Coronado walking along the beach.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

I can't believe they didn't say anything!

Jen said...

Awkward!! I hate when people don't speak and they see you coming. How the hell are we supposed to know they're there?
I hate when OJ stops and I encourage him on and then realise that he was doing it for a reason. I need to stop doing it and trust him.