My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Thank you, Mentors

I've been pondering a comment recently had with someone I deeply admire. When we first met we learned we had both lost our sight to Retinitis Pigmentosa. Upon learning this he said - RP is the best way to go blind! He shared this very enthusiastically to the point I found myself feeling - yes... I am so fortunate! He then proceeded to share how losing his sight gradually had helped him prepare for his blindness. Now, as he was totally blind, he felt he had all the skills and tools to have a very productive, joyful life. Since meeting him and spending a few very enjoyable days together, I have found his enthusiasm to be contagious and reminded that blindness is so doable with the proper training. He also motivated me to take a refresher course in braille and use my VictorReader on a more regular basis. Thanks - the power of mentors in our lives is incredible and forever grateful for those in my life.

No comments: