My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Ambiguity

K recently asked me - mom, how long do you think until you are completely blind. I don't know was my answer ... We all have many teachers of letting go and finding peace with uncertainty. Retinitis Pigmentosa has been mine. K & I then did some
reflecting on how my life has changed since my first guide dog, Pantera. At that time, I was still reading portions of regular print - albeit slow and tedious. This picture is a little staged but fun!

Now, trying to learn the techno world and the amazing adaptations that are available to a person who is blind. I am loving my laptop with zoomtext and still trying to master the Victor Reader with my good friend, Cricket by my side.

Dr. Siple states in her research: "psychologically it is much harder 'going blind than being blind.' Perhaps, the most challenging aspect of RP is its unpredictable course. People with RP routinely find themselves in limbo."

Finding peace with ambiguity and the unknown. People with RP aren't the only ones with this challenge ... All we have is today to love and embrace and enjoy not knowing what tomorrow will bring in our lives.

4 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

Great post Becky...brings it home that life is uncertain and we all have things we need to accept...thanks, Mary

3 labs 4 me said...

A good reminder for all of us.....

Princess Coral said...

Yay for ZoomText!
Yes, I agree; going blind is harder than being blind... Although I sometimes wish to be able to see a lot of beautiful things in the world, and wish that I could drive just one time, I'm fortunate that I don't have to really deal with adjusting to blindness.

Renee said...

Ah, such a great reminder. Thanks for this!