My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, June 19, 2009

Tails

On a sign on the way to my office it reads: Do less barking and more wagging! I was laughing today as I was tucking Cricket's tail in while getting into the car and wondering the use of it. Cricket's tail seems to stick straight out at times ... often an extra effort in tucking it in under the restaurant table, making sure as we get in a car its tucked in safely. Others seem to also be aware of her tail and concerned if it is sticking out too far. Isn't it amazing however, the feelings that are expressed by that tail - if she is super excited - the whole back body and tail wag speedily back and forth, at times when a client comes in they will get a slight tail thump, other times a speedy tail wag. One of my favorites is when she is sitting trying to be good and her tail is swishing back and forth. I love when she is guiding and I realize her tail is wagging. It reminds me that she enjoys her job and is a happy girl. As a pug, Missy's is usually curled up tight in a cute little cinnamon roll - however, when she is super excited it also swishes back and forth. If she is sad, it is droopy. Pretty good communication tool these dogs have.

3 comments:

Ally and Eclipse said...

I love how you explained Missy's tail! My American Eskimo's tail does the same thing! If she's tired or unsure her tail "droops" but still has a bit of curl at the end, when she's content it's curled on her back and when she's happy her tail wiggles back and forth /grin/ There's nothing that says "I love you" more than a lab or golden (or similar breed) thwapping against the wall in the morning!

Camie said...

Hey Becky just sent you an email.

OSU 98 said...

Last week as we were visiting at Dodd, an older gentleman was petting Chel as she was standing next to his bed....tail wagging entire time. I just watched it...a sign of pure happiness.