My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Sunday, June 7, 2009

One of my heroes


I enjoyed spending time with my good friend Julie and her mom, Camille, this past week. I have known her and her family for close to 12 years.

Christopher Reeve once said, "A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles." Julie is one of my heroes ... blindness introduced us to each other. Now, it is only one of our many bonds that we share. I love her sense of humor, incredible optimism, her ability to be so interested in my day and how I am doing. I recall visiting her in the hospital when she was in VERY serious condition a few years ago. I arrived so concerned about her and she began to ask me about how I was doing, how my family was doing - that is Julie. Anytime I am around her she lifts me up inspite of the daily difficult obstacles that she is dealing with. We have so much fun together and I cherish the time we can be together. She has the ability to make me feel so special when I am with her and has helped me to see the ability to 'make lemonade'.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WOW...
I think one of the best parts of being alive is those moments when we meet people who have such impacts on us. Such great impacts on us. I'm glad you have her.