My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Are you Training that Dog?

Just a random question - almost every person that I have talked to that has a guide dog ... is asked this question Are you training that dog? If we are all getting asked this - who do they think we are training them for ... there are people actually using them! A lady at the conference was so excited - as she asked this question and I said no, she is working - she said WOW! I've never seen a real one. Love it and realize my ordinary day is still an education or a new experience to so many.

3 comments:

3 labs 4 me said...

When I'm with you & you get asked that question, it's always shocking to me. I guess whether you like it or not, you'll have to keep educating people day after day.

lindsey said...

I get asked if it's my guide dog and many people often ask me if I can see "a little"...I don't think everybody is going to ever get it totally right! I always explain that if they are wearing a brown harness it means they are working and their person is blind, if they are wearing a green coat it means they are in training...people are funny!

Becky Andrews said...

Debi - agree an ongoing education and that's okay!

Lindsey - thanks - that is a great way to try to help people understand - I need to remember that.