My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Grieving Hearts

One aspect of many I love about my work is finding creative ways to get kids (and adults) to talk, share their feelings, and move forward in their lives. I came up with this idea with the help of a colleague, Karen Johnson of Everyday Grief. These hearts have a hole in them that comes out - that represents the loss that client has experienced. We talk about how this impacts your heart and some days it feels like a big hole, other days it is a small wrinkle.
I love their creativity with their hearts! We had fun painting and talking. Each of these hearts represents an amazing story and a resilient teen.
Sometimes I think, I get paid to do this? This is too much fun. Cricket loves the kids and usually gets some off harness time so she can show them her love (she is keenly aware of who is talking and sharing). She can be a great helper in helping to open the conversation. Anyone else noticed that its a little easier to talk about hard things when you are petting a dog!
We don't get over our grief by forgetting, we get through our grief by remembering.

2 comments:

OSU 98 said...

I am tearing up reading this. So true..Chelsie is such a source of comfort when things aren't going so well.

Off harness time is the best. :)

3 labs 4 me said...

These hearts are beautiful. What an awesome idea. Thanks for sharing these with all of us.