My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, December 1, 2008

Gifts from Retinitis Pigmentosa

Today I was asked: what gifts have you gained from going blind? (Interesting to be asked that as I have been reflecting on that as I was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa in December 25 years ago.) I like that question and will share in the next days some of the gifts that I recognize and feel have gained from Retinitis Pigmentosa. One gift: Understanding and experiencing the amazing bond of a guide dog and their handler. I find it difficult to put into words the connection that is formed. I trust Cricket with my life (as I did Pantera for 9 years) and am amazed each day how she steps up and performs her job with such love and devotion. This gift of love from Cricket is such an example to me.

Today was such a great day at my office - I saw ten clients and am truly inspired by each of them - it is pure joy to be in a career that I love. My vision loss helped me find this career after graduating with a bachelor's degree in Business ... realized that my passion was not in calculating numbers but in helping clients through their journeys in life - thus returned to school to get a master's degree in counseling. (Steve likes to say I had a plan and was just getting my business degree so when I opened my private practice I had that background in business - nope; took the long way but it worked!)

No comments: