My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One more day ...

We are off in the morning for Greece! We are SO excited -- except for the loooong flight & leaving Cricket. We know she will be much happier home with Lindsey , Missy and Frisco. Thanks SO much to Lindsey!

When people learn I am not taking Cricket they ask - what are you going to do? Well, first of all, I will return with an even greater appreciation for Cricket and the independence she gives me. I will spend the next 13 days with Steve as my sighted guide and a cane in my purse, if needed. (I am not a real good cane user because I have rarely used it in the last 12 years.) Instead of walking on my own independently with Cricket - I will be hanging on to Steve. We will look like we are just totally in love holding hands or hanging on to his elbow 24/7 -- now we really are 'totally in love' but typically we have a little more space! When we went to Europe this spring with a larger tour group, many did not know that I was blind until the end and one lady told us - oh, I just thought it was so sweet to see an older couple still so in love and you could not let go of each other the whole trip! When I am without Cricket, I am reminded how my confidence has soared with a guide dog and the ability to travel anywhere so freely. For me, vision loss is a challenge at times but is reduced significantly with a guide dog.

Travelling is a thrill and a challenge for me being blind. I love the new experiences, new places to 'see' and learn about but am also reminded of the comfort of home - knowing where everything is (except when I lose it) and my familiar routine. I embrace a challenge and look forward to this trip as a challenge as well as much fun and relaxation with my best friend of 25 years.

No comments: