My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Halloween Memories ...

Pulling out my few Halloween decorations brings back memories -- times with my daughter Natalie two years ago. Now, she is living in San Diego and knowing that she has the other ghost in this candle set and a boo in her house makes me smile!


Halloween also brings memories of trying to go trick or treating when I had horrible night vision. My sweet parents would stock me up with flashlights so that I could be a part of the activities. At that time, I hadn't been diagnosed with Retnitis Pigmentosa so I didn't really understand how horrible my night vision was nor able to explain it to my friends ... although they all knew I was struggling in the dark. I hated dates that consisted of going to haunted houses. I also dreaded when daylight savings time ended and my hours of light were limited.

One of Steve and my first dates was when I was telling him I did not want to go out on another date with a guy that took me to a haunted house ... he said, well I'm going grocery shopping tonight do you want to come. I was so thrilled and have never had so much fun grocery shopping before!

My level of freedom in the dark happeneded 11 years ago when training with Pantera and we did our first night route. I realized I could see nothing and was going to rely on Pantera 100% ... amazing experience and now although I still don't prefer haunted houses, I love Autumn and Halloween now has many happy memories.

1 comment:

Princess Coral said...

Becky, I can totally relate! I'm almost totally blind at night!!! When This is going to be my 1st Halloween with Coral! Maybe we'll do something fun!