My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Adaptations in Daily Living ...

I believe we all make adaptations to our daily life for various reasons ... they become simply part of our routine. Entering the DSBVI (Division of Services for the Blind and Visually Impaired to learn some ADL (Adaptive Daily Living Skills) many years ago, I had cuts on my hands and a bruises on my forehead and shins from different mishaps. It was so exciting to learn that with a few adaptations in how I did things, relying on my other senses, having a routine, etc I could avoid this (atleast most of the time) I was reminded over the weekend some of the adaptations that I have made due to blindness that are now just a part of my routine. I learned to clean in a methodical, pattern manner which helped immensely when cleaning the large area of tile in one of our condos. I had forgotten that the doors had been taken down and so had methodically gone around the door area avoiding a door that was actually not there!

No comments: