My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Opportunities to Educate


Today Cricket and I had some free time so we went shopping to Petco, Deseret Book, Paradise Bakery, and Costco! We found the funnest little gift for Dahlia (cute little pug of Adam and Natalie) in Petco. One of the clerks at Petco was so impressed with how good Cricket was and that she was not running after everything - I explained that she was a guide dog and they were very well trained, etc. (I know they have lots of dogs shop at their store with various levels of training. At Deseret Book, the clerk was very helpful in helping me find a CD version of a book I wanted to read ... he asked all about Cricket, my eyes, and how she worked. I always enjoy sharing Cricket's talents and how she helps me! If I'm not in a hurry I am also happy to produce my medical charts that explain Retinitis Pigmentosa (just teasing - but it does present many questions) After we had completed our shopping and were checking out, this same clerk said, I am so glad you didn't just leave Cricket in the car -- its too hot for her there! I agreed that it was much too hot for her in the car and also explained it is very difficult for her to do her job (that I had just explained) from the car.

6 comments:

Brittany said...

I have been reading your blog for the past while and wanted to tell you how great it is to hear about the working guides out there!

I am a puppy raiser for GDB, and am just finishing an internship at the OR campus. I hope you don't mind my linking to your blog. Feel free to do the same with mine! Cricket sounds like an awesome girl!

OSU 98 said...

I came across your blog from the GDB website - I have a friend who has a dog from GDB. It is so great you take the opportunity to educate people about guide dogs! So many times, when I am out with my friend, kids run by us and scream "look at the dog" and the parents do not make the effort to educate them on what the dog (a very beautiful and gorgeous golden dog, I might add!) is for. Really annoying.

Your girl is beautiful and is really, really lucky to have a dog mom like you!

Princess Coral said...

Hi Becky,

I'm also a GDB graduate, and a recent one!

I have a similar story! The other day, I was arranging a ride with someone I hadn't met before. It was supposed to be a lunch meeting, and he offered to come pick me up. So I took up on it, told him that I'm blind and have a guide dog. He sounded that he understood everything, and asked some questions about guide dog, which I answered. Well, a few hours later, he called me back and said "What kind of car do you drive? My car may be too small for your guide dog." I smiled and told him that my dog drives a city bus in her sleep!

Becky Andrews said...

Brittany -- Thank you SO much for being a puppy raiser -- words can't even begin to thank you all! I ran into a puppy raiser in NYC and we hugged and I started to cry as I told her thanks! I am excited to check out your blog as well -Yes, link away and will do the same.

Becky Andrews said...

Nicole -- Yes can definitely relate to what you are describing with the kids!

Becky Andrews said...

Princess Coral -- thank you for the laugh for the day re: your experience! That is a classic.