My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah

I recall one of the first Visions Conferences I attended, one of the speakers stated "the reality is no matter what our experiences, days aren't all "Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, my oh my what a wonderful day"!  We make the best of each day, however, some days are challenging, right!?  Yesterday, I had one of those challenging mornings. Steve had an early morning meeting an hour away from our home.   Even the cab driver was not available!  I had a doctor appointment in a half hour.  Kendall was able to get me to the appointment but not pick me up.  I left this appointment not sure how I was going to get home (knowing that if I needed to there were several I would and could call).  Fortunately, I did not have appointments scheduled at the office all day - just planned to work from home until an appointment with Steve later in the day.  Georgie and I walked out of the doctor's office and to the bus stop.  This was a bus stop we had not used before so finding it took us a little time including crossing a round about - new experience.  We had decided to take the bus to a store that I needed to visit.  We would figure out the next step on getting home later.  I knew eventually I would make it :).  I was waiting at the bus stop trying to track down the bus ap for my phone with some frustrations.  It was a beautiful day and I was just trying to enjoy it.  After about fifteen minutes the next bus arrived.  I stepped on the bus and was greeted by the most friendly bus driver!  He asked me my guide's name.  I said, Georgie and soon he had broken into the song, Hey there Georgie Girl.  He was singing and soon others on the bus began to sing along.  I had set my wallet down and one lady spoke up and wanted to make sure I didn't leave it.  She said - just cheering you on.  In that moment I felt such gratitude for these strangers that had lifted my heart and cheered me up.  

Suddenly, inspite of some minor transporation frustrations, I was feeling like I had a bounce back in my step and singing Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, my oh my what a wonderful day.  This bus driver didn't know I was stepping onto his bus feeling a bit frustrated and discouraged.  I stepped off the bus, lighter and reminded of the power of cheerfulness and kindness to others.  We really can lift others with a smile, a helping hand, and a Hey there Georgie Girl song can be pretty helpful too!  

6 comments:

Karen said...

That brightened my day as I am frustrated over the loss of hearing aid. so grateful for that good bus driver!! days like that make me so wish I was closer to help. Love you Mom

Karen said...

That brightened my day as I am frustrated over the loss of hearing aid. so grateful for that good bus driver!! days like that make me so wish I was closer to help. Love you Mom

Starman said...

So glad humanity showed its wonderfulness to you and Georgie!

Starman said...

So glad humanity showed its wonderfulness to you and Georgie!

Starman said...

So glad humanity showed its wonderfulness to you and Georgie!

3 labs 4 me said...

Just when you loose your faith in mankind, you hear stories such as yours. I'm happy to know that you were touched by their kindness.