My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Team Achilles

Do one thing everyday that scares you.  -- Eleanor Roosevelt.  
Georgie was a fine supervisor during physical therapy appointment on Friday so we would be ready for Saturday!  
Today was a great day - not easy but rather a sense of accomplishment, connecting with others, experiencing something new and representing an important organization that has helped so many:  Achilles International. My friend of atleast 20 years - Ken that also has RP, invited me to join his Team for the Running with Ed Relay in Park City today.  I didn't know the others on the team but had heard him talk fondly of his friends - running guides so was excited and a little nervous to join in.  I ran two of the legs - Leg 5 which was four plus miles with Richard on the team and Leg 10 which was 2.87 miles with Andy and Jacob.  They were amazing and told me to set the pace.  They also ran their own legs and were guides for Ken as well!  

Steve took this picture and is cheering us on (with Georgie :) as we run into the finish.  Our team came together to run in the last half mile together.  
Team Achilles.  We were able to be interviewed on the radio prior to the run and share further about Team Achilles!  

One of my favorite moments was at one of the stops where a mom came up to us and wanted more information and said she was so excited to share with her son who didn't feel he could run any longer since he lost his sight.  


The Achilles International mission states:  Our mission is to enable people with all types of disabilities to participate in mainstream athletics in order to promote personal achievement, enhance self esteem and lower barriers to living a fulfilling life.  


I have the baton that was exchanged at each station.  I will treasure this little link of a memory of their incredible kindness, doing something new, a little scary and very rewarding.  

2 comments:

3 labs 4 me said...

Love your action photo. It says it all. Well done my friend!

Becky Andrews said...

Thanks Debi - That was a special moment :).