My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Two Good Choices

Often it seems we have to choose between two great things to do. It looks like this will be the case in June. Same timing: Foundation Fighting Blindness Conference in Baltimore and the MS Bike Ride that we love to participate in and received notice with this great quote from Mother Teresa:

Time to begin training for the MS150 bike ride the announcement tells us.  Let us begin.

FFB Conference with Family - Disneyworld
What a blessing it is to have opportunities and choices in life.  It has been several years since we have attended an FFB Conference -- let's see the last one may have been Florida with my two broken arms!  Steve and I were already scheduled to be on a panel about married life with RP.  We were laughing because RP was not the challenge of the time - rather learning to manage without the use of my arms.  Eating was a real challenge during this double broken arm time, and I still remember trying to navigate eating at one of the nice dinners trying to avoid the Steve feeding me route :).

In 2013, I'm feeling a desire to connect with friends from across the country that I have met over the years that have RP.  Friends that Steve and I treasure.  You know that amazing experience when you don't have to say much at all and you know someone gets it.

Oh how we love the MS 150 bike ride in Cache Valley.  It is one of our favorite rides as we cycle through the lovely area that we both grew up.  I remember our last time - two years ago.  We were at the point where we needed to decide should we go 75 or 100.  We said - let's go for it and enjoyed 100 miles on a beautiful June day.  Rereading this post brings back sweet memories and tough decision!

We have a little more time to decide and fun as I've typed this to remember so many wonderful FFB Conferences over the years with our kids - remember the first one in San Francisco, Natalie?  the fun one in Washington, DC Natalie and Kendall?  that first overwhelming one in Florida, mom and dad?  a pretty amazing one in Chicago, Steve?  And such great times on the tandem bike.

Tonight Becky Crowther, RD, who is offering a six-week course at our office on Healthy Living (you can email her at beckycrowther@gmail.com for details), reminded of the importance of 7 hours sleep!  It recharges us and is the best gift we can give our body ... so sleep well!  

No comments: