My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Half-way through January!

We are half-way through January. I love having a January birthday.  It gives a fun reason that just keeps on going (a breakfast here, lunch there, dinner tonight with the family - will see my parents this weekend ...) It is nice with our cold, winter weather to have sunny connections with family and friends.

This time of year can be hard - our office is very busy with people dealing with the affects of seasonal affective depression. Is there anything you do to help get you through January? or do you love the month and not feel the affects of the winter weather?

Exercise can be so helpful. I am a person that loves to exercise with someone - my favorites are running with a friend and tandem cycling with Steve (too cold right now). This weather creates some added challenges with the crazy snow, slush, and icy terrain. Thanks to my amazing friend for her incredible navigation in this crazy weather. I get running and talking and sometimes forget all she has to do to keep us safe. She is awesome.  I was asked again to share what my tether looks like:  (Thanks, Shannon! who made this stury tether - it is just the right size!)

Connecting with people.  A birthday dinner with my dear family.  Love them.  Can you see a yellow lab peeking between me and Steve?
I think Cricket is really missing her regular exercising and sunshine this time of year.  We don't go for near as many walks - the sidewalks are covered in snow and it is SO cold.  We may just need to go south for a few days to lift her spirits :) and get a dose of sunshine/Vitamin D.

Sleep.  We need atleast 7 hours and it is one of the best things we do to restore our body.

I often visit with clients about finding a game plan and balance to  lift our spirits - nurture in the five realms to keep us balanced:  physical, social, emotional, spiritual and cognitive/mental.

What lifts your spirits?

4 comments:

Grandma & Grandpa said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BECKY. LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL ONE WITH YOUR FAMILY. SURE DO LOVE YOU! Your Hunsaker Kin

GOOSE said...

Just being with my MOM lifts my spirits. She says the same thing. And we also hike and walk together often (yes even in this fringed weather). We like the hiking best, even in the snow. I love it! Hope you get to go south for a bit. I know Cricket will love it.
Blessings,
Goose

Retired Duo said...

Happy belated birthday. I loved seeing Cricket poke up between you and Steve. What a beautiful family photo.
January can be hard, but getting out, being in nature, walking, and looking at seed catalogs - it all helps. Exercise certainly helps. We love the YMCA and their big pool.
Pat in Ohio

Infrequent Flyers said...

Happy birthday, Becky!! Eating out is definitely a January perk. It's cold here, too, but at least it's sunny.