My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, January 18, 2013

Guiding in Great Fashion

I recently was visiting with some friends and the conversation turned to asking about my recent awesome experience at Ann Taylor. I may blog about my life, but really I'm not a big fan of talking about myself so I was trying to quickly get through the parts about me. I mentioned - they asked some great questions about how I design my outfits and also how Cricket guides. They said well ... we want to know. They said, you know we just don't think about your blindness. I said - this is great! It is just one aspect of who I am. I just gain information that others may get visually in different ways.

Super cute sweater from my dear friend, Debi.  You may not be able to tell - has a fun ruffle along the bottom.  Love this scarf from another friend, Susi.  Thank you and it just makes it special to wear something from someone special, too!  
I'm going to answer these questions.  First of all, how did Cricket get me to Ann Taylor last Friday (and so many other places!)?Steve helped me get oriented of where we were and then I told 'Cricket forward', 'find the door', find the elevator, outside, left, right, then I recognized that just after a ramp I would turn left, then inside to the store.  I was greeted at that point and so was directed on where to go from there.  If I was entering without someone at the door I would then tell her 'find the counter' and she would go to where we could get assistance!  I ask her to do this with verbal, feet and hand gestures.  She is indeed amazing!  Just yesterday I was at City Creek, again! and she did another amazing 'all in a day's work to her' thing!  I had asked her to find the door - I opened it and for some reason it automatically began to shut ... she pulled us back quickly.  There were two ladies walking by that said - now that was amazing!  I've probably said amazing many times in this post but it really is a word I think to describe her and her guide work!

2 comments:

GOOSE said...

Oh yes Cricket is so amazing and so are you. The perfect team.
Blessings,
Goose

wendy said...

sorry to repeat...but yup, AMAZING