My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Another post on running a marathon

Hope you aren't tired of hearing about my marathon journey! I used to think - people really take a bus ride at 5 am to the starting point of a marathon? Last Saturday morning when we boarded the bus in the dark of the early morning, there was excitement in the air. The bus was full of chatter and excitement. We had to take seats somewhat separated from each other. I sat down and knew there was someone next to me, but he was quiet. I had time to just reflect on what was to come and felt gratitude and excitement for the experience! We were not far from our destination when the man next to me said - Sorry if I've been blocking your view. (Apparently he was leaning over toward the window.) I laughed and explained that didn't matter! He then shared that his wife had signed him up and he had embraced the plan and was doing his first marathon! The picture below is us before we started the run. It was chilly + I was excited so I was shaking! A sweet friend/colleague in my office gave me running gloves which she and some of my other colleagues had signed. I felt warmed up by putting on her thoughtful gift.

We will embrace running again in a few more days. I'm ready!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am always inspired by the things you choose to do in life! I liked 3 parts of this post best: your response when the man apologized for blocking your view (!); the gift of autographed gloves; and the fact that you completed a marathon! You're amazing and I'm so glad I know you!! I want to be better!!

Unknown said...

So awesome!