My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Month to Celebrate - Guide Dog Month at Petco


September is National Service Dog Month and GDB is proud to partner with Natural Balance Pet Foods, who would like to raise at least one million dollars to honor Service Dogs across America. This year, they are honoring Guide Dogs and Military Working Dogs to showcase the incredible work they do to change and save lives. 

Natural Balance is committed to the cause of Guide Dog Programs and is dedicating the month of September to support guide dog programs that empower the visually impaired with the life-changing gift of a guide dog.


Cricket and I look forward to celebrating this month big time :).  I am not on my regular computer so its a little tricky.  This first post will be brief.  A  new friend recently walking along with me indicated you walk so confidently with Cricket how do you do it?  I look forward to sharing this month as we educate and celebrate. 

How did we start our celebration?  We visited the St. George Petco and bought Cricket a new bed for our car.  Next Saturday we will have the opportunity to share information about Guide Dogs at our local Petco.

Steve and I went for a beautiful walk with Cricket along the river trail laughing and chatting away.  I follow the movement of Cricket through the harness.  This is where I gain much information - a slight shift to the left to move away from a stick on the trail, a stop for an elevation change, a veer right  when there is a dip in the trial, etc!   It started to rain and thunder.  Cricket walked along unphased by the crazy weather.  We arrived back at our car a little wet but definitely, Good Girl Cricket!

That is a nice story to begin the celebration of Guide Dog Month!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Cricket is amazing as are you!

wendy said...

For sure a good way to start Guide Dog Month. He probably loves you as much as you love him.

Marie said...

I haven't been here in a while (it's been a rough year), although I think of you often. Reading your posts has really reinforced how inspiring you are. I am so glad you are still sharing your incredible outlook on life!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! We look forward to celebrating this month with you too. Thanks so much for letting us know.

Becca@Roofing Melbourne said...

Good to know there is occasion like this to give tribute to our dogs.