My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Thursday, July 19, 2012

What do I see?

A question I am asked often. In keeping with the anniversary theme :), I'll post this picture of Steve and I in Norway feeling victorious and in the same shirt I was wearing in the previous post. No wonder I think I need more clothes :).

I have meant to share about my experience at Low Vision Rehabilitation Services. Just prior to this unfortunate experience, I had an appointment that was helpful and informative. My appointment was with Bryan Gerritsen, a Certified Low Vision Therapist, who spent extensive time learning about my vision with different tests. I have vision in one eye about the size of a dime that is fuzzy and inability to distinguish contrast and many colors. So, I wondered if a low vision appointment would even be helpful at this point. I have gained many blind skills that have served me well and really almost didn't go except that I had a scheduled appointment and didn't want to cancel on him. I learned that I am nearsighted in this one eye so that if I held an object at just the right spot with the magnification glasses I could see a letter! In many situations it is still much quicker to use the speech abilities I have, but there are times that this is helping me out. I bought a new pair of sunglasses that wrap around and are still kind of cute to wear for biking and other places where the dirt and wind can take a toll on my dry eyes. Then the tool that is hanging around my neck in this picture is a monocular lens. If you look through it the peephole is expanded. So, if I can see a fuzzy dime through the peephole it makes it a fuzzy quarter size that is somewhat disproportionate but a sense of the scenery. So, I left with three helpful tools that I have really enjoyed. I also gained an appreciation for Bryan and his work and the time he spent with me.

5 comments:

wendy said...

With each other..You'll Always be victorious

Infrequent Flyers said...

What a great description. Sounds like it was a great experience to meet with the low vision therapist. It's nice to have some tools to help you get as much out of your vision as you can.

Myrna R. said...

Love the photo.

Glad the appointment helped after all.

Take care Becky.

3 labs 4 me said...

Cool photo Becky. Thanks for the insightful lesson in dealing with low vision & the tools that are out there to help.

jennohara said...

I'm glad to hear the appointment went well. So neat to hear about your experiences.
Happy Anniversary!