My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, July 2, 2012

Sweet Lemonade

One of the sweet phone calls I received after my Ann Taylor incident was a call from one of my first mentors - Marianne. She was my vocational counselor when I became 'legally blind' and I was trying to decide what to do as far as profession, etc. She was an amazing voice on the other end encouraging me along -- Now, Becky you can do whatever you choose to do. I remember her encouraging voice helping me explore doors to open. It has been several years and I have thought about her periodically - she retired years ago. She heard our story and called me to tell me she was proud of her former client :). It was so wonderful to talk to her and be able to tell her how much I appreciate and love her. I've reflected on the super kind sales associate that helped me at Limited. She didn't know her customer had just had a difficult experience. However, her kindness in that moment meant so much. I plan to go back to the store and thank her. I recall just after I had heard that there was an false statement from AT, I was so sad and yes angry. I arrived at a meeting and a former superviser came up to me, not knowing the situation, and simply said it was so great to see me and commented what a great team me and Cricket were (of course :), but it felt great and I needed to hear those words! Funny story -- I was in the line in the restroom in the JFK Airport - a lady recognized me and asked about Cricket! We are concluding an amazing journey of travelling. We've planned for it for so long its hard to believe it is almost finished! I look forward to sharing. I have had experiences with people reaching out to be helpful even when we didn't speak the same language - the kindness is touching and inspiring. I hope I can pay it forward. Hope you are having a wonderful day with kindness.

8 comments:

Beth and Alfie said...

Becky, it's been so painful reading about this whole Ann Taylor thing. I know how upset, flustered, and, yes, even angry I've felt when denied access -- and that was just with my dogs in training, not a guide I relied on for my independence. Can't imagine facing this the way you've had to. As always, your attitude has been an inspiration as you rise above everything that's been thrown at you. Yes, you've made lemonade out of those lemons! It is my sincere hope that AT will learn from this incident, and the public will grow more educated as well. Someone should've backed you up -- even if just another shopper. May we all find the courage to speak for the rights of others when it is needed. Blessings and best wishes to you always!!

Becky Andrews said...

Beth - Thank you for your sweet comment. Yes, I have reflected on what it was like for the other customer (I know there was at least one or more being helped while I was in there). It has reminded me to be an advocate for not only myself but to watch out for others.

Grandma & Grandpa said...

So glad you're having wonderful experiences on your trip! Your experience made me want to be more courageous in standing up for others in difficult situations.

Karen said...

So glad you had that nice contact with Marianne. We well remember her encouragement and support at a time it was so needed. I have thought about her a lot and remember her coming to Boring when you got Pantera. Dear Lady!! So glad trip is a wonderful as planned.

Myrna R. said...

So glad for you Becky. May your whole life journey be filled with kindness.

Retired Duo said...

Happy 4th of July, Becky. Safe travels on the rest of your trip. How cool that someone recognized you at JFK. Even though we've never met, I'm sure I would know you and Cricket if I saw you.

Mimi said...

You and Cricket are famous, getting recognized at airports! I'm glad your trip is going smoothly and I look forward to hearing more about it!

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear your getting close to home, but I hope you've had a wonderful, wonderful time. Of course, you know we're trying to find kindness and pay it forward here. Can't wait to learn all about it!