My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, May 21, 2012

Snippets of Patience. Retinitis Pigmentosa

I recall when I quit driving someone said to me ... wow, you will really get the chance to learn patience.  Thanks :).  So true.  Yes there are some things that I just have to let go of and accept that they are done differently. As I've mentioned, yes I would long to hop in the car and get my list of tasks done. Instead with creativity and patience they happen. Sometimes, a little slower - sometimes things become just not that urgent. Recently a new colleague said wow, you are so patient and easy going. I laughed and told her - you may not have said that 20 years ago :).  Steve pointed out this butterfly to me. I said - I need to go get my iphone to take a picture. I was impressed with the butterfly's patience as he was still there when I got back.
Cricket shows so much patience for me in a day.  She is amazing.  I had mentioned to her good job and that she needed a treat.  She came in by her treat jar and patiently waited.
Not only have I learned more patience through this Retinitis Pigmentosa Journey, but I am sure grateful for all those that are so amazingly patient with me!  

Week Two of our training for our marathon.  Light day:  3 miles this morning.  Good thing as I dropped a 2-liter bottle on my foot and my patient husband iced it and helped me be able to run.  My first thought after it hit and was hurting ... Oh, its got to be better by morning so I can run!  Maybe, I'm not so patient! 

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Yes, it does take patience. It's so true that those items we need from the store or those errands that need to be done really are not as urgent as everyone makes them out to be. Now if we could just be perfect and remember that and not get frustrated when we forget this.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this reminder today as I needed it. I've been shuffling through the morning quite chaotically (as if every moment was the need to get over an aching foot) without simply enjoying the sound of the birds currently chirping outside my window, or the sound of Buddy breathing heavily because he just greeted our guests visiting from out of town. Those are beautiful sounds. The sound of your family welcoming another. The sound of birds welcoming us into the day. Thank you. Patience is nice.