My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, February 17, 2012

Laughter. Reflecting. Cleansing

We blocked out time to go to St. George for the three-day weekend.  A place Steve and I thoroughly enjoy together.  We enjoy simplicity and generally warmth.  Our bike was tuned up and ready to go.  I woke up Thursday morning and said - doesn't feel right to go to St. George this weekend.  So far several small things have validated that but I knew that even if I never knew - needed to listen.  St. George can wait (hopefully not too long, however!)

In the meantime, I am so grateful I am here.  I am visiting a friend who is ill that I know part of being home is visiting her.  Also, I am cleansing my head, my closets and clutter and even cleaning up blog drafts that can be deleted.   One of the items I found was my 'speech' from Wasatch Woman  award luncheon last year.  If you'd like, here it is -
 
I have the opportunity to share today at a luncheon, gratitude as I receive an award. It might be five minutes of tears and inability to speak, but in case I am able to speak articulately this is what I hope to be able to say.

There are some advantages to blindness. One of which at this time is as I stand to thank you for this award. I don't see you out there. As a result perhaps I can share my thoughts without the flood of emotion that can follow.

Thank you. I now have eleven new Wasatch Women as my heroes. Thank you to each of them for their stories of resilience that have inspired me and so many others. I am grateful to be a part of such an amazing group of women.

I recall a moment years ago when I shared my dream of owning my own business with an employer at the time. She indicated that probably as a person who is blind I should be simply grateful that I had a job. Indeed I was grateful to have a job, but I also knew that I could achieve my dreams. I knew that a day like this could be possible.

I recall as a little girl hearing the story of Helen Keller and wondering as a blind person if she closed her eyes when she slept. Later, as I lost my own vision I learned that indeed someone who is blind closes their eyes when they sleep. I also know that it is possible as a blind woman to have dreams as you sleep and that you can live them!

Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light. Helen Keller.

Today I honor this incredible group of people at my tables who have believed in me. (I am so very fortunate to have 19 people who are special to me join in this day.) They have each played a part in my journey here today. My husband tells me each day he is the luckiest guy to be married to me. He believed in my dreams before I did. My children are my inspiration. They light up my world and bring so much laughter. They have supported me in ways that are unique and amazing. They have been my readers, my drivers, and believe I can do anything. My parents and brothers - What a gift to come from a home where love and laughter and incredible support abounds.

I have a table of friends and colleagues who have each played a part in my journey. Thank you. I have been touched and inspired by their enthusiasm and support for this day. I wish I could individually acknowledge each of their parts in my life. I hope they know.

Lastly, thank you to my clients who inspire me each day. I am reminded of courage each day through them. Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying I will try again tomorrow. Mary anne Radmacher.

Within our realm of choicelessness we choose how we live.  Thank you.


Reflecting back - Who knows if I said any of that when I actually stood up there to speak. I know Cricket walked me to the stand and back to my seat gracefully. I am grateful that through this year I have met some new very dear women -- one, Vickie Walker will be sharing at my office on Wednesday.  Check out her  site

Also, rediscovered is my journals of some of those difficult times with vision loss in my handwriting that I now cannot read :) I'm anxious to reread those times that now are mostly funny. Just today I started putting all the ingredients together to make stew.  As I was ready to put the meat in from the freezer, I pulled out what felt just like stew meat to learn ... it was frozen strawberries :). I laughed and put in an alternate meat.

I am enjoying getting to know Kris . She speaks for Time out for Women and has her first guide, Nadine. My colleagues and I were laughing so hard at one of my silly moments the other day. Love it

Grateful to be having some time of listening to my heart, much laughter, reflecting and cleansing.  This afternoon it was even warm enough that I started the winter clean up in the yard.  How?   If you are a gardener, go outside and feel.  Can you tell the part of the plant that is dead and needs to be trimmed off?  You can, right!  Cool.  

Anyone else happy that Easter candy is now out.  Peeps are one of my favorites for this holiday as well :).

Did you really read all of my ramblings?!

3 comments:

wendy said...

10 year anniversary already. My 3rd son (4th child) just got home from his mission at that time and got a job with the Olympicas at Galavan Plaza. Was pretty cool.

I enjoyed you talk very much.

I am sorry you forfeited your trip to St. George, but as ONLY YOU know, you were needed at home. We need to listen to those promptings don't we.

BECKY said...

I love hearing about cleaning out closets and clutter. Something I need to do and really WANT to do...but it's not happening yet...I think you just inspired me, Becky!

Elle J said...

Yes, I do read all of your ramblings. =) Beautiful speech - thank you for sharing!!