My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter Fashion Challenge: Day One. Layers

Layers in Utah in January are easy.  Running on these chilly mornings is an exercise in layering.  (I love it!)  Outside of running, I enjoy layering up with fun scarves (many, thanks to my mom!) and colored gloves and versatile coats that can work as Cricket's blanket.  (It works for us :).  My colleagues found it pretty funny that Cricket settled right down on the floor of a conference when I put one of my scarfs by her.  She would settle down without, but she does enjoy having something a little soft by her side.  I find these cheap little colored gloves work great for walking with Cricket.. They keep my hands warm, but aren't so heavy that I can't feel the movement of the harness.  Maybe its just me, but too many layers make it harder to be aware of her lead.  So our layers of the day.  My pink coat (bargain from Old Navy two years ago that I love.  I also love that it travelled to China last year with Natalie.)  This plaid scarf was given to me by my mother-in-law last year for my birthday.  Its fun with turquoise, pink, and black.   
Next layers - this little black jacket has been a treasure for years.   I remember Natalie wearing it in college to a dance with jeans.  I always feel a little cool when Natalie choose something from my closet :) to wear.  Its just a fun little jacket that goes over many things.  This pink sweater I found at American Eagle on my way to meet a friend for lunch last Friday.  I love how it fits and wish I had it in more colors. The white button up layer is one of my favorites from Banana Republic a find a few years ago on clearance.  I just rediscovered it in my closet, and its like buying a new shirt :).  Black boots - so comfortable and with just a little heel they work great with pants or a casual dress.  They are an easy height to walk with Cricket in as well. 
How do I shop alone?  With a guide dog, I walk into the store, ask Cricket to find the counter (if someone hasn't talked to us yet), and then ask for some assistance.  Sometimes I need to explain to them how they can help me for example, I am blind and need a little assistance finding a black coat and anything else that you might have that is fun.  The ending of the sentence is where I find out what they might have on sale, what is the fun item for the season that I might want to remember, etc.  For example, as we are walking back to the clearance coat section they may say - springtime you will be wanting a bright splash of color.   It also helps them feel more relaxed if they are unsure how to be helpful.  I walked into Sur La Table and said I need a new cheese grater.  They showed me a couple fun different options.  I chose the grater with the cheese falling into a measuring cup - how cool is that!  Gateway is one of the places that I shop alone.  It is an easy layout of fun stores and easy pick up or fun meeting places.  Yes it has its moments of challenge.  Sometimes we have to sit down and have a lemon cookie (with frosting) and a diet coke just to regroup :). 

Hope you have a great Monday!      

10 comments:

Kelly said...

This is a wonderful outfit! I love all the layering you've done, and the jacket is an incredible bargain piece. Great work!!

Natalie said...

I love this outfit and the pop of pink and that pink coat are great!

Grandma & Grandpa said...

I love your boots. They look just like ones I've been trying to find. If you don't mind sharing, where did you get them?

Unknown said...

I really love both those outfits! That fuschia coat is just wonderful, and I love your dog.

Rebecca said...

Cute layers! I love your pink jacket!

See Me Rwar

Mrs. Bennett Has Class said...

I feel the same way when my daughter asks to wear something of mine! It makes me feel young and hip. :) You look lovely in bright pink!

Anonymous said...

I love layering with a sweater and blazer.

Faulkner's Ranch said...

That fuchsia coat is stunning! Love love love it!

Becky Andrews said...

Loye; My boots are bass from Famous Footwear. I was trying to remember - I think they are about 4 years old!

Kayla Moncur said...

That coat is GORGEOUS. I love that color on you!