My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mentoring

I recently had a student come into the office for an interview.  We have the opportunity to generally have two students each semester.  I said, I want you to think about how we can give back to you and help your learning experience.  At first, she began telling me how she could help our agency and such.  Yes, I believe she will, but I wanted to know how we could help her.  I remember sitting on the other side and still am so grateful to those who mentored me along.  I get excited to have students and have that chance to mentor them in the journey and also believe we learn much from them.

I credit one of my mentors in being so instrumental in my becoming a Fellow of Thanatology.  I recall him introducing me to someone as one of their premier therapists in my specialty when inside I was thinking -- are you serious?  me?  The power of someone believing in us is incredible. 

As I begin a new semester of 'mentoring' this has me asking - who is your mentor?  how have they helped you?  what did they do that helped inspire you?  helped you believe in yourself?

1 comment:

Just Jess for now said...

I've had different mentors all through varying life stages of my life-a specific teammate when I was swimming, the teacher who taught me to read braille and tie my shoes Etc-so it's hard to pick just one. I think most everyone I have come into contact with in my life have taught me something, and although that isn't the exact definition of "mentoring," I feel extremely blessed to have been touched by these people; even people via blogging. ;)
PS: Thank you for your kind words on yesterday's post. :)