My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Running. Driving. Retinitis Pigmentosa.

Thanks so much for your kindness and well wishes on my broken wrist.   Adjusting and even able to do short working areas with Cricket.  Typing for too long is painful so I'll be brief :).  We have still been running - although I think in the morning I will use the other hand to hold on.  I'm so used to my left hand being used for guiding that its hard to switch!  However,  I bumped my sweet guide runner/and friend with my cast and that doesn't seem okay to do!  We'll see how running on the other side works out for us.  The nurse had three rules for my cast:  1) don't get it wet, 2) don't put anything down it, 3) don't hit anyone with it.  Well, the last one is tricky as sometimes I just bump into things .. doing my best! 

Today I attended a conference on Trauma with six of my colleagues.  They are the best!   I rode in with one that requested that I be able to direct us to the location.  I had the directions, and we found the conference without a problem.  As we left for lunch, they began to ask me some questions about when I quit driving.  None of them knew me back almost 20 years ago when I turned in my restricted driver's license.  I don't miss driving. I miss the freedom/flexibility that it gives one.  However,  I don't  really get caught up in the what ifs or how my life would be easier if I could drive.   My cup is really overflowing.   Many days transportation is not a big deal... it is simply coordinating with husband, then cab driver, then friends, sometimes like tomorrow morning I'm fortunate to have one of my kids that can help.  When I first had to quit driving, I had a group of ladies that offered to help me get to and from work for a while.  They were all busy moms and a few times they forgot it was 'their' day.  I had a part time job not too far from our home and so once I gained mobility skills - cane travel it was not a problem.  It is funny - I don't remember years later who forgot - they were ten of my dearest friends and I recall how touched I was that they would pull together a carpool list for ME!  What I do remember is the inner strength that I developed as I realized that I could do it -- I really could get through this and on the few times one of them forgot and I walked home I gained some confidence.  
Current read for a presentation I get to give about our office:  Learning to Laugh when you feel like Crying; Embracing Life After Loss by  Allen Klein.  Its a good read.  From the book on gaining inner strength:

I ... walked for miles at night along the beach,
writing bad blank verse and searching endlessly
for someone wonderful who would ... change my life.
It never crossed my mind that person could be me.
Anna Quindlen, American author  

Today, Black cast - brown outfit.   Aside from my colleagues psycho -analyzing my choice of black for a cast color (all in good fun), I'm good with it.  The joy of working with therapists ... are you in a dark mood, Becky? are you feeling angry?  No - promise!  It just felt like a neutral - match almost anything color?   It doesn't quite stand out as much as my  two red casts  eleven years ago!  (This wasn't too brief!)

5 comments:

Lucent Imagery said...

Becky, I am glad to hear your are doing some adjusting to allow your wrist to heal. I was reminded yet again why we have so much in common with our visual disabilities and attitudes. Your words "I don't miss driving. I miss the freedom/flexibility that it gives one" are almost the exact words I've written for a post to be published in the near future! Love it. xx

Just Jess for now said...

A great post today. Thanks for sharing. :)

Infrequent Flyers said...

Becky, you have the most wonderful ability to just "roll with the punches", figuratively and literally, judging from your broken wrist. I'd have the names of the women who forgot me emblazoned on my brain! But you don't even remember who the culprits were. That is truly an admirable quality.

Maxmom said...

Hi there Becky,
I too admire your inner strength.
I must say...that cast is an incredible elegant fashion statement (hehe).
You always manage to look lovely :)
Sending lotsaluv and healing wishes,
MAXMOM IN SA

Elle J said...

Your posts are always so positive regardless of the mishaps. I enjoy that when reading here. And I like the color choice of your cast. =)