My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Monday, October 10, 2011

Blind Running with a vision

Suzette and I ran this morning. Such a blessing to be healthy to run and friends who will run with me and the tools to make it possible. Recently a lady I know shouted out to us one day - I'm shocked you are running. My running partner smiled and said, she must not know you very well.

Simple tools to make running fun: A 'blind athlete' vest. This helps someone know that I am blind and to clear the way if needed. A 'tether' held by me and the other end by my guide. It works very simple and similar to how I follow the lead from Cricket. A friend willing to knock on my door and run and talk for 3, 5, 10 miles whatever the route is for the day.

It gives me energy to take on the day. I realize I really want to do another 1/2 marathon and then a marathon.

2 comments:

Just Jess for now said...

Very well put. I'm trying to get things ready to train for a triathlon and so far, it's not going too well. :)
Good luck and enjoy your running. :)

Myrna R. said...

I love visiting this blog because I find it stimulating and inspiring. I am so pleased to know how motivated you are and how energetic. Wish I had half your stamina.