My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Simply Celebrating

Happy Anniversary, Steve. Twenty-seven years! Where does the time go? I was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa in December 1983, and we were married the following July. Blindness really isn't a big issue in our relationship.  As a challenge has come up, we just come up with a solution.  This isn't a blindness thing - this is how we live our lives in whatever the challenge has been --working together.   I remember at our wedding reception not many people knew of my visual impairment, and I was concerned about knowing when to put my hand out to shake someone's hand. We decided that Steve would lightly touch the back of my elbow when I needed to shake a hand-- 27 years later when someone has reached their hand out and I may be totally unaware that is still our cue when we are together.  He does so many simple, kind gestures for me each day.  He treats me with love and respect.  He is my best friend.  He is my #1 fan.   We simply wanted to be together all day.  We enjoyed last night going to the Hale Centre Theatre for  Dirty Rotten Scoundrels .  Today we enjoyed the afternoon in  Park City and dinner tonight at Loco Lizard - one of our favorites sharing Chicken/Shrimp Suazas.  (We split -  Steve has the shrimp and I have the chicken.)   
We reminsced, talked about the future, and enjoyed the day so very grateful to be sharing our life together.   

9 comments:

Shelly :) said...

Happy Anniversary to you and Steve! :) Here's to many more years together!

Lucent Imagery said...

Happy anniversary! I had the same concerns at our wedding! Huge thumbs up to our husbands and close loved ones who always strive to help us as best as they can. Lots of love to you three. xx

cmlhe said...

Happy anniversary!!

Just Jess for now said...

Congratulations to you both :)

Maxmom said...

Congratulations, and happy anniversary to both of you. I saw this on one of my friends FB profile. I am sure you will enjoy it:

"The strength of a man isn't seen in the width of his shoulders..It's seen in the width of his arms that circle you. The strength of a man isn't in the deep tone of his voice..It's in the gentle words he whispers. The strength of a man isn't in how respected he is at work..It's in how respected he is at home. The strength of a man isn't in the weight he can lift. It's in the burdens he can carry."

Your Steve sounds really strong. What a blessing!
Sending lotsaluv to you,
MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

Myrna R. said...

Congratulations. How wonderful to have a happy marriage.

Karen said...

What a wonderful couple and a great example of what a marriage should be. We are forever happy and grateful for this wonderful union. Love you Dad and Mom

Infrequent Flyers said...

Happy 27th anniversary! I love your casual celebration--to me, those are the best kinds, no hoopla needed when every day is so special!

3 labs 4 me said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys! You are such an incredible couple & we feel blessed to call you our friends. xoxo