My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Human Potential

Last week was a busy week with the invitation to share at four different events.  I actually enjoy this opportunity and find that each experience brings a chance to reflect on the requested topic and ponder and this speaker learns much more than the audience. 

*To a group of teachers - I shared .. we are in the human potential business.
Strength, courage and resiliency exist in everyone, but they start as a tiny spark and its only through facing  challenges that they grow and blaze into the force that directs our lives.
--Erik Weihenmayer
As that spark is ignited ... our young clients/students begin to believe in themselves and independence is desired.

*To the state convention titled:  It is Respectable to be Blind.   Of course!  Love that empowering title of the conference and the messages shared.  My specific title was:  A Respectable Professional:  What does blindness have to do with it?  My short answer is nothing.  I believe being a respected professional is through integrity, being a hard worker, having a specialty/skill that others see as valuable, and a passion for one's profession.  I broke down the word Respectable with a key word for each.
R = Respect for ourselves and others.  We must believe in ourselves and know that we deserve respect.
E = Effort.  Lots of it.  It takes much effort to reach our dreams. 
S = Serve others.  Put yourself out there for someone else.
P = Passion.  Find your passion and make it happen.  When we have a passion, we don't see the obstacles.  We can be dreamers or doubters.  Dreamers so.
E = Engage with others.  Connections.  Relationships with others.  Reciprocity.
C = Create.  Action word.  Create the opportunities that we want.
T = Truth.  Speak your truth.  Find someone you can trust who will give you that honest feedback and hold you accountable.
A = Authenticity.  Acknowledge your own inner strength.  Hold your head high with that cane or guide dog or sighted guide. 
B = Believe.  Believe in yourself, your abilities, your strengths. (a little repetitive but I think one to be emphasized). 
L = Laughter.  Find something that makes you laugh each day.  Walk with a smile on your face.
E = Embrace your life ... blindness included.  Find a way to do what you want to do.
Of course, I had to share a running story at the end!  That is such a fun way to end with a victory to visualize being cheered on.  

Another presentation message was:  LOVE.  Shared my favorite song - There is Only Love by Karen Drucker.  I feel such gratitude for the Love in my life. 

Just had a call to do another presentation next week.  Perhaps that is part of the celebration of the human potential!  That quiet Becky is enjoying presenting. 

Side note:  I have been enjoying yummy lunches with friends this week.  Its been fun.  Another one today.  We are going to the same location that I went yesterday.  Do you think they'll notice the lady and her dog are back? :).  Warm soup, sitting by the fire, with a friend is so nourishing on another rainy day. 

No comments: