My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I Appreciate

In my profession as a therapist in private practice working a couple nights is part of the routine. The positive of this is some free mornings. (I making a real effort to block out the mornings on the days that I work until late so that it doesn't become a 12-hour work day -- not helpful to me or the client). Wednesdays have become my morning. So, the last couple Wednesdays I have enjoyed amazing runs with my friend Shannon . I appreciate so much her making the extra drive to pick me up. I am loving the opportunity to run with her. If she lived next door, I'd probably be knocking on her door daily! We are running a 1/2 marathon in January. So excited. Steve also will be running which will be fun to have him be a part of the journey. How does a blind person run? I hope you other blind runners will share your tips. Shannon and I run with a tether that she made. Isn't that so awesome! In thic picture it is the red rope. It is much more comfortable than the one Steve and I used previously. This bib that indicates "blind athlete" was made by my friend Paul several years ago. It serves the purpose of letting others know that I am blind so they can run around us or understand why I am not going to move for them. Cricket is super cute but she doesn't run with us. She doesn't guide while running.
I am usually a fair weather exerciser so running this morning when it was chilly was new. I wore one more layer of clothing than I probably needed. It helps for me to have someone that is going to knock on the door and be there at 8. Thanks, Shannon. It also helps me to sign up for an event. Thanks, Shannon and Julieanne.
What motivates you?

I came back and the hot water heater wasn't working. Steve worked his magic and there was enough for a shower. He is my hero in so many ways.

Searching for some motivation to get my blind technology skills moving as I reflect back on the resolutions for this year. I need someone knocking on my door asking if I did my braille homework today or learned one new task on my victor reader.

Happy Wednesday.

7 comments:

s day @ sdayrunning.blogspot.com said...

Oh becky, you're so sweet. I LOVE LOVE LOVE running with you. I wouldn't make the drive for just anyone. You're what gets me out of bed and motivated to run also. I love it!
Can't wait for our 1/2 in January. Can you believe we're really doing it!?
Love you

Julianne said...

I just can't seem to keep up with you or shannon!! You both are so inspiring. I love the cute "appreciation" posts this month. We all have so much to be grateful for...and I am grateful for the blooming friendship with you and shannon. I can't wait for January (wait, yes i can. I haven't started running yet...crap)! You are so adorable and I just love your positive outlook on life! It definitely is what I need to get through the day...

xoxo

Lucent Imagery said...

I know we've talked about this on my blog already, but I will answer your question anyway for your readers! I am currently using a shoe lace tied into a loop with it looped around my middle finger like a ring and the other end looped around my friend's finger. When my husband and I run it's in daylight so we tend to get by with him giving me verbal instructions. I'm going to get a Vision Impaired Runner singlet made. My dog runs on the other side of me on his longer lead which I either hold in my hand or tie around my waist - a little tug for when I slow down!!

DCHY said...

I'd love to run in a marathon, even a 1/2 marathon. Just never got around to doing that. Why? I could give you excuses but I won't. :)

Becky Andrews said...

Julianne; Can you run with us on Mondays?
LI: That's cool your dog will run with you. Cricket refuses! She is funny.
DCHY: Come on you can do it :>

3 labs 4 me said...

Well, maybe I should start a goal for myself. I have a friend that invited me to walk 1/2 maraton with her in May. Maybe this could be the start of putting my shoes to pavement. I'm not sure I could make it to Utah for your's in Jan., but wouldn' that be fun, I guess?

Becky Andrews said...

Debi; That would be awesome for you to join us! Yes!