My little red tether is my anchor in running with my friends. A beautiful guide dog has been my tether/anchor in mobility and independence for 17 years: 1. Pantera 2. Cricket, and now my beautiful 3. Georgina (Georgie). A life of family and friends is my joy and anchor in life.

The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it. CC Scott

Friday, September 3, 2010

All in a Guide Dog's Day, #5

As a guide dog, Cricket needs to be able to lie quietly anywhere when needed. Sometimes that means quietly sitting under a chair for an hour during a meeting, lying under the table at a restaurant, sitting on her mat during yoga, church, anywhere -- this list goes on and on! When her harness is on, she rests but is always ready to hop up and move to the next adventure. When someone tells me, oh I didn't even realize a dog was at this meeting; I know Cricket is working hard to do her job. (Its nice to have a job that relaxing and sleeping is doing your job :D)
I love the harnesses from GDB. The handle part pops off so when she is resting, I often pull it off. It is easy to remember because when I stand up and need to walk with her, I must fasten it back on.

2 comments:

Maddie, Betsy, Jorinda, and Petuina said...

Thanks for posting these! I love knowing all the amazing things guide dogs do. It makes raising even more worth it when I can see how helpful my puppy is! :) Good girl Cricket!

Beth and Alfie said...

Such an important part of the day's work...and one of Alfie's biggest challenges! Now that school has started (I homeschool our 2 kids) I keep him on leash at my desk during the day, so we can work on this. Good job Cricket!